Airfix 1/144 737-200 BA

LSP_Kevin

31 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Authentic Airliners make resin bits for further improvement to the BPK kit.

https://www.authentic-airliners.de/epages/64205758.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64205758/Products/A72-01

Interesting! So the fin is wrong? That set is aimed at the -200 kit, but I assume the fins would be the same (on both the kits and the real aircraft), right?

Kev

Wrong, or maybe just not as sharp and refined as the resin casting?

For the pin-less fuselage halves, could you glue little blocks to the inside of each side in alternating positions that would stick past the edge and force them to line up?  I've never tackled a really large short-run kit, but have contemplated doing that even for small ones.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

For the pin-less fuselage halves, could you glue little blocks to the inside of each side in alternating positions that would stick past the edge and force them to line up?

I think that's pretty much going to be the required approach - much like you would a vac kit. The mating surfaces of the fuselage halves are going to need similar vac-style treatment, too, as they're anything but straight and clean.

Kev

Getting this topic back on track a little, today I received the Nazca detail decals I ordered for this build:

ax7KId.jpg

I haven't had experience with this brand before, and these sheets at least (I bought a similar sheet for the 727) turned out to be laser-printed on continuous film. Up close, they look a little fuzzy, and definitely not as nice as screen-printed decals, but I think they'll look fine on the model. I'm not sure what I'll end up using yet, but it's nice to have some additional details to help busy up the finish.

Kev

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Getting this topic back on track a little, today I received the Nazca detail decals I ordered for this build:

I haven't had experience with this brand before, and these sheets at least (I bought a similar sheet for the 727) turned out to be laser-printed on continuous film. Up close, they look a little fuzzy, and definitely not as nice as screen-printed decals, but I think they'll look fine on the model. I'm not sure what I'll end up using yet, but it's nice to have some additional details to help busy up the finish.

Kev

He does some nice stuff, for sure. He's a regular on Airliner Cafe, and yes, his stuff is all laser printed. What I really like, is that he'll print to order, in whatever scale you desire. When the time comes, I'll have him print me up some 1:100 767 & L-1011 windows and stencils. I used his window and data decals on a little Ozark L-1011 (that I've never yet finished).

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just posted a photo-essay of the contents of the BPK kit in general discussion:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/88434-bpk-172-b737-100/

Kev

It looks like a pretty good kit - thanks.

I thought that I still had my Airfix 1/144 B737-200 kit, but cannot find it, so it looks like I need a new one (I would certainly like to have the BPK B737-200 kit!).

Regards

Derek