1:32 scale - Nieuport N.28C1

sandbagger

Hi all,
The Nieuport 28, like some other French built aircraft, had wood strip infills between the four pairs of flying wires.
These infills were held in place between the wires by straps that wrapped around the wires and infills.

To represent these wood infills I cut thin strips of 0.2 mm plastic card.
These were covered with ‘Aviattic’ Wood Grain (ATT32235) decal, which was conformed around the plastic strips with 'Tamiya' X20A thinners.
 I cut a five lengths of ‘Bare-Metal’ Matte Aluminium foil of 0.5 mm width
 These were secured to the infill strip using thin CA adhesive (adhesive on foil backing didn't hold well).
The infill strip was laid onto and between the flying wires and the foil strips pushed around the infill to hold it in position.
Finally thin CA adhesive was 'flowed' along the flying wires to secure them against the infill strip.

Mike

wireinfills.jpg

15 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Ah, thank you for explaining the infill batons.  Been scratching my head on how to do those on a future Salmson build, this looks like just the ticket.  .2mm plastic, but how wide is each strip?

Matt 

Hi Matt,

I fitted the pairs of flying wires as close to the same separation as possible, but obviously there are slight differences.

However, as the mono-filament has some flex they can be spread or closed up to some degree.

Therefore I cut the width of the 0.2 mm thick styrene strips to match each pair of wire, so each was very slightly different,

Mike

Hi all,
The pilot figure is finished and will be leaning against the aircraft, hence the pose.
Brush painted using 'Tamiya' and 'AK Interactive' acrylics.
Metal fittings 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213) and Brass (219).
Dust and oil stain is 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Sets A and D.

This will be my last post for this model as I'm awaiting delivery of the display case and propeller.

Thanks to those who followed this build and for the encouraging comments.
I'll post the completed photographs soon,

Mike

forumpilot.jpg

11 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi Matt,

I fitted the pairs of flying wires as close to the same separation as possible, but obviously there are slight differences.

However, as the mono-filament has some flex they can be spread or closed up to some degree.

Therefore I cut the width of the 0.2 mm thick styrene strips to match each pair of wire, so each was very slightly different,

Mike

Makes sense.  All trial and measurements.  Thanks for the help though, that really will make it easier when I get to the Salmson.

Matt