Matchbox Tiger Moth

Alain Gadbois

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Excellent work and improvisation Alain!  I presume, having gone to the trouble of doing the stud fasteners for the hood that you're not actually fitting one? 

Many thanks!

Correct Max, my way of not

dealing with the hood!

I am thinking of using the markings in the Revell boxing of a glider school aircraft so this item may well have been removed for that task.

I have not been able to find a photo or details of the attachments for a glider tug.

If anyone has something to that effect that would make me very happy!

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Oh my yes, that is tremendous looking! The lads are right, that scratch work is super effective looking. 

Thank you! Turned out to be quite simple to do with just 2 parts. 

Alain

I'll check my references for attachments Alain, must have been quite a light glider! 

No pictures I'm afraid Alain, however there are two possibilities to consider.  Stuart McKay's book says:

"While prospective (Army) glider pilots were learning to fly in Tiger Moths, the Airborne Forces Establishment kept a number of the type on charge for light tugging duties alongside Hawker Hectors." (slightly paraphrased).

So....Glider Training Schools had Tiger Moths to train future glider pilots to fly, as the RAF trained the vast majority of their powered flight pilots, but the AFE had Moths for some glider towing duties.  I'm sure this isn't totally exclusive but it puts a slightly different slant on certainly my understanding of GTSs.

Edited by mozart

Thanks Max,

I have found writen references of Tiger Moths used as tugs, and these must have been light ones of course. It is very interesting to know that glider pilots trained in TMs, which is just logical when you think of it. The nice thing about this is the tail hook (or whatever attachments) is not obligatory in that case. The blind flying hood will still be off on my kit though!

Alain

My wife’s father was an Army glider pilot, we have his photograph next to my father’s and their pilot’s wings attached. Sadly we don’t know what happened to Peter’s logbook, it would have been an interesting read for sure. 

Market Garden was not a great success...hope he made it alright!

More on the exterior tonight.

The very clunky elevator and rudder horns of the kit were replaced by parts cut from an aluminium sheet. The large openings were reduced with styrene bits and sanded smooth. Still a bit of filler needed after the new horns will be glued in place. Note that on the real aircraft there is a strip of fabric closing the gap between elevators and tailplane, so I left the kit part as it was molded.

ZUKabQq.jpg

6MH65fo.jpg

I started looking at the wing parts and added bit of detail to the fuel tank. Also drilled holes for the eventual wires that will be put in.

iH1eDK8.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

Very neat control horns Alain. :D Clunky is a very appropriate word for the Revell ones! By the way, Peter survived the war, left the army and trained as a chemist. He went on to develop unique photosensitive papers and built a highly successful and profitable company. 

Edited by mozart

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Time for an update. I've been working on some of the exterior details a bit at a time, and now have made enough progress to show some more pictures of the T M.

The oil tank was glued on a bit higher than what the kit would suggest, after filling in the existing locating holes. I put pencil marks where I think the retaining bolts will go. Slots on either side of the fuselage are traced and opened carefully. These are where the rudder control horns come out.

XVbtPmu.jpg

Next the anti-spin strakes. These are metal and added to the wooden fuselage. On the kit, they are somehow inset in the fuselage as the photo shows (Revell reissue shown)

cg5ZAjg.jpg

I removed the raised section you can see at left, then made two styrene strips that correctly represent the raised detail of the strakes.

EqjOILP.jpg

Duplicating the sheet metal cover on the leading edge of the fin, made with a portion of tooth paste tube in the kit box since the nineties!

0Hai4Fl.jpg

There it is glued and sanded to shape. Forgot to mention the rudder was cut of the fin and will be reattached to the fin with brass rods. Two styrene tapering pieces detail the gap (from photo references). The rudder is also extended a bit.  A few rivets are added too.

buKHeNS.jpg

The parts dry fitted. Still a lot of rivets to add to the strakes, as they are quite visible on the real thing.

BFHRkGV.jpg

Finally, I glued the ailerons to the wings. To represent the fabric seal between wing and aileron, I filled the gap with epoxy putty. I drilled little holes where the hinges are located, then made them square with a few X-Acto cuts.  

41BoWxs.jpg

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois