Aeroclub 1/32 Vacuform Pitts S-1D

JimRice

I have waited for this moment for some time.  No longer posting in "In the Works" on this one. IT IS DONE.   The 35 year journey has come to an end.  This kit was purchased in 1984 or 85.  It was tinkered with off and on for years starting back then.  This kit is a world traveler having resided in New York, Oklahoma, Germany, back to Oklahoma, Texas and completed in Tennessee.

It is far from perfect, but it is finished...well, other than putting back on one flying wire on the tail...I didn't notice had fallen off until I was looking at pictures preparing this post.

N66Y is a Pitts S-1C built by my dad in the early sixities and one of the earliest of plans built Pitts Specials.  It was bought by well known acro legend Bob Herendeen in 1965.  He won the US National Aerobatic Championship flying it in 1966, the first US Team member to compete in a Pitts.  He also flew it in the world competition in Moscow that same year. It definitely put the Pitts Special on the map and soon all the pilots were flying Pitts for many years after.

The kit is of a four aileron S-1D.  I've back dated to the S-1C which only had ailerons on the lower wing, but with longer span.  Both had a flat bottom airfoil.  Soon, the Pitts S-1S with symetrical airfoil  eclipsed the S-1Cs and Bob  sold N66Y and moved into his new Pitts S-1S N266Y.

Unfortunately, I was too young to fly when dad built his Pitts (3 total) and sold the last one.  I have been lucky enough to fly three different S-1S Pitts...and they are an absolute delight and fly inverted as well us right side up.

Today, N66Y is owned by the Experimental Airplane Association, but is on loan to the Aircraft Spruce and Supply Company and on display at their Peach Tree City airport location where it hangs in the lobby.

yu44sV.jpg

jZi4od.jpg

zYxeeW.jpg

c7ouxL.jpg

banjFH.jpg

fU1vwt.jpg

qI5185.jpg

No10MD.jpg

nQw2WZ.jpg

QJQoB9.jpg

V2oz6X.jpg

m0hRxd.jpg
83ayOB.jpg

IoMdWe.jpg

j1xR1p.jpg

d7ZoJx.jpg

AWWn1H.jpg

Si4zaD.jpg

Xc0UHJ.jpg

The real N66Y then and now...

This picture was made shortly before completion and first flight. Notice the missing windshield.

mJMg8K.jpg

As it hangs in ACS Lobby today.

uM9dnm.jpg

My dad sitting in cosmetically restored N66Y at OSHKOSH 2000 when it was displayed in memory of Bob Herendeen.

qspJtd.jpg

Edited by JimRice
Spelling errors and picture changes.

Just now, LSP_Ray said:

Love it! I think I have one in the stash. Nice gloss paint job.

Can I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Sure, don't know how it will stack up with the great models I see there though. :D

My ex brother-in-law built and flew in a Pitts, and competed in unlimited aerobatics for a few years. He finally sold it a short while after his daughter was born as he began to second guess about what the danger of what he was doing. Not good to lose your confidence when you are doing aerobatics. His Pitts was beautiful, though. Bought a Piper Cub with the money from the sale. (I got a ride in that one.)

• 3 months later...