Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Some more fine tuning of the front maintenance hatch now done. I have to say, I'm getting sort of tired of adding surfacer to the numerous depressions. Trumpeter made them way too deep, so it really needs to be done, regardless.

I guess you are sort of committed to doing this now. doing some panels and leaving the rest is going to look weird

Richard

10 hours ago, RLWP said:

I guess you are sort of committed to doing this now. doing some panels and leaving the rest is going to look weird

Richard

The good news is that these are the worst of them, along with the 12 at the rear side of the hull where it meets the vertical, and a couple elsewhere. While these do indeed exist on the real vehicle, Trumpeter just depicted them way too deep is all, so surfacer, to me, is a must.

Just for giggles (and because it has to be done eventually anyway), I started knocking together some track sections tonight. It swiftly became apparent that I'll probably have to CA every track pin in place on the outer end, so that they project ever so slightly from the locking collar, otherwise they're too easily inserted too far. I'll have to tear apart these two assemblies now in order to do just that. Leaving them "as-is" would probably be OK, but I really think they need to be done correctly.

r6mlpx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that has come to my attention, though I'm not 100% sure it applies to the Jagdtiger (it probably does), is that the inner guide horn is smaller (shorter) than the outer one. Several of the build reviews have mentioned that these horns, both being the same height on the kit parts, cause interference issues around the drive sprocket, but I've yet to confirm this. I have no intention of shortening all of them, but will clip off some of the additional height from the ones that cause fit issues on the kit.

1Cp5nD.jpg

Yep, sure enough, interference! Note that the inner horn actually raises the entire sprocket, so that it no longer rides on the track proper. The Germans were clever enough to cast a clearance groove in the back half of the sprocket, specifically to accommodate the guide horns. If Trumpeter had molded the track correctly, there would be no clearance issues at all, but they unfortunately did not. I'll trim off some of the few horns that will cause interference issues, shortly before installing the track, which I won't do until after they receive some basic weathering. I've also begun adding some preliminary texture to the sprockets, but more obviously needs to be done for them to really look the part.

2oyNeN.jpg

UGH to the LUG!

(Or guide horn) which of course has shape detail on end,

so either sever it at base - reattach, or reshape detail again.

But if you only modify the ones at the sprocket for fit, no bother

as surely can't be seen. Depends on static build right? 

Nice to know, had no idea! Thanks Kev.

Wonder about my Tamiya tracks?

They were always RC so obviously not an issue,

but where is the shortfall if so...

20 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

UGH to the LUG!

(Or guide horn) which of course has shape detail on end,

so either sever it at base - reattach, or reshape detail again.

But if you only modify the ones at the sprocket for fit, no bother

as surely can't be seen. Depends on static build right? 

Nice to know, had no idea! Thanks Kev.

Wonder about my Tamiya tracks?

They were always RC so obviously not an issue,

but where is the shortfall if so...

Tamiya. I assume you mean the King Tiger? I'd imagine they'd be engineered correctly, at least for fit/clearance issues, even if the track itself is incorrect, as far as the guide horns are configured.