Tamiya F-4J Marine VMFA-334

dmthamade

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great progress, and that F-15 is spectacular!

Cheers,  Tom

50 minutes ago, mozart said:

Fabulous paint scheme, that's one impressive model! :bow:

The paintwork on the Eagle was pretty challenging, I think it was the most masking I had ever done. The build on this Revell kit was pretty straightforward, fit was much better than the Tamiya Eagles.

Don

Progress on the paint. I managed to get all the paint down on the main part of the build. It's been a long time since i've sprayed Light Gull Grey, i used Model Master Acryl.

Forgot how ill behaved this paint color could be. I first primed overall with Tamiya flat while, XF-2. Also did the underside with the white. Did remember the Acryl needed a primer, found any of the Tamiya spray or bottle paints worked well. Anyway, the LGG spattered, plugged the tip and just misbehaved. Remembering forgotten lessons, i thinned it thicker than any other paint i would use, and upped the pressure, Worked fair after this, but found the finish grainy, like it needed more thinning. Real fine line between good and bad. To polish the grey i used a 3600 sanding pad. Corogard was sprayed on using Vallejo Dull Aluminum.

gN4FYX.jpg

PREhDi.jpg

Got a head start on the exhaust area for weathering.

RRVD0T.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Nice progress! I add a drop of dishwashing soap when I use MM Acryl thinned with filtered water to make it flow more smoothly. This does the trick for me.

Cheers,  Tom

It's funny, the only Acryl paint I have problems with are Light Gull Grey, Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey. Everything else is good. Haven't used them in a while, what I found especially with Light Gull Grey is to let the paint separate from the solvent(?), pour off about 2/3 of the solvent, then use as normal with the appropriate thinner. I forgot to do this this time(was a new/old stash bottle). Ended up using straight from the bottle. maybe the soap could have helped with tip clogging. Have to add, I used to have problems with Acryl sticking to bare plastic(it DOESN'T!!!!), I prime with either Tamiya rattlecan primer or pretty much anything that I know will stick to bare plastic. In the case of my Phantom, I airbrushed Tamiya XF-2 overall since it is white on the bottom and used it as the primer coat. Masking for the Corogard and NMF areas on the rear fuselage did NOT pull up the LGG Acryl, I was using some very sticky tape, too.

Don

Nice work on the cockpit Don.

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you may have baked in Tamiya's 25 degree dihedral error on the outer wing panels.

It should only be 12.5 degrees and will look far more Phantom like.

But it may just be the angle of the photos fooling me.

1 hour ago, Chek said:

Nice work on the cockpit Don.

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you may have baked in Tamiya's 25 degree dihedral error on the outer wing panels.

It should only be 12.5 degrees and will look far more Phantom like.

But it may just be the angle of the photos fooling me.

OOB so that error is there. Forgot about that, and from what I remember it is a relatively easy fix. Your not fooled, it is what it is.

Don

At this point in the build it's too far gone for me to correct. The plates on the fuselage and the angle of the outer wing panels are well known glitches on the Tamiya kits, mostly corrected one, dropped the ball on the other.... darn.

Don

Great pics!! They also show more loadout options. Middle one shows cluster bombs on MER, last shows Mk82s on TERs and probable Mk82s on a Mer on centerline. The LAU33s also show red markings, don't think I've ever seen those before. With the loadout i'm planning AIM7s are possible in the rear sparrow bays... think i'll add them, more bang is always good.

Don

Wish I could work out what's going on with the outer pylon and MER orientation in this photo.

I know the USAF angled the whole pylon outboard to allow for main gear door clearance, but that just looks weird.

y.jpg

Also any clues as to the flank marking on the ZUNI pic? Looks like a 57 FIS knight helmet zap, but that seems very unlikely given the location and the time frame.

Edited by Chek

31 minutes ago, Chek said:

Also any clues as to the flank marking on the ZUNI pic? Looks like a 57 FIS knight helmet zap, but that seems very unlikely given the location and the time frame.

Are you referring to the fuselage marking? It's VMFA-314 Black Knights squadron insignia. There's also a "314" marking on the top of the wing fuel tank in same photo.

Don the official reports of the squadron you are doing are here:

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/VMF-334.htm

Command Chronology is usually brief reports of the particular time period, including how much ordnance was expended. Here is an example from the first report:

D-l Mark 81 (250#) - 493
D-2 Mark 82 (500#) - 1847 
D-5 2.75" Rocket Pods - 339
D-7 LAU-I0A (Zuni) - 207
D-9 MK-77 (500# Nap) - 303
D-14 CBU-24 - 4
D-20 20mm - 1844 Rounds
D-26 750# GP - 239 

They used codes for weapon types as you can see all starting with D. After Action Reports are a bit more detailed giving crew names, a/c number and how many weapons were loaded (but not which stations). Click on any date, then click on the PDF icon to open it. Here is one example:

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1201/1201098132.pdf

Jari

42 minutes ago, Chek said:

Wish I could work out what's going on with the outer pylon and MER orientation in this photo.

I know the USAF angled the whole pylon outboard to allow for main gear door clearance, but that just looks weird.

y.jpg

Download the file here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=ordnanceman

click on the slow, it is slow but it is free and in it shows how the Navy/Marines angled the MERs on the outboard pylons.

Jari