Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

mustang1989

On 2/5/2020 at 2:21 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I'm still amazed at how "chunky" some of these old car model parts are. I think a lot of aircraft modelers don't really realize just how well off they actually are.

You're right for the most part but I think I can work with this engine. It actually aint that bad. Ol' Jo-Han did a decent job with this power plant. Rest of the car outside of the body sucks but this is one of the better older OOB engines.

A little more progress as of late. Been working on this thing all week long. Starting to get googly eyed.... icon_shocked_zpsq7jmp5d6

Got a few more bits on. Oil filter, starter, bellhousing and transmission have all been painted up and installed. Working on the intake area of the build now which is where all the details are going to be. Stuff like ignition wiring, throttle linkage, fuel lines and all the mumbo jumbo stuff that goes in there....

All test fitted together with a set of carbs that I have in the stash. Proper Dominators will go on top when I get 'em in the mail....

K9Gioo.jpg

qIj79h.jpg

and for test fitting the engine into the frame to check out header options, header to frame clearances and general fit..... so I don't damage or mess up any of the details that I'm building here I've got another 427 that came in a glue bomb Maverick that I got in the mail that's undergoing a restoration/ transformation.

vU2Yq8.jpg

Ok gang....I managed to get the wheels coated in Molotow and the tires all decaled and completed. I didn't use the front wheels with the Molotow on them in the following pictures because this stuff has a minimum cure out of 48 hours. The rears I could handle somewhat because of the dish in the wheels but here's where we're at right now with the wheels/ tires.

and then I found my headers that are going to give me the perfect clearance. I just cut the flanges off of them and modified the header extensions on the Jo-Han headers to match up with the headers and we're all set. Another major hurdle of this build overcome.

Thanks fellas.

Another thing that this kit is totally lacking in is the proper engine bay. I turned to the 67 Mustang kit for this since it's a fairly close match.

GKXhPB.jpg

On the right is an OOB engine bay in my other Maverick. After some mods and some trimming I've got the initial fit obtained. It's workable and looks like it should do the trick after some more fancy footwork.

uhDvSN.jpg