Wild Hare 1/32 RAF Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

So many cool schemes for an RAF toom. I'm with Iain for the last display aircraft.

So many people have different favourites that they want to build how can it be we don't have a spey phantom to play with????

Tamiya, Z-M, HKM (to name a few) - are you listening?

On 4/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, Iain said:

If I ever get the chance/get around to it I *really* want to do an Ark Royal FG.1 - poised ready for a cat launch...

Iain

Me too. although I'd like a Buccaneer on the neighbouring cat strapped down in a similar pose, so for space reasons, that'd have to be while cross-decking on the Saratoga or similar.

But then likely my only big FAA Bucc will be with white undersides which doesn't fit the timeline.

I might just have to settle for 1/48 for that pipedream.

Edited by Chek

• 1 month later...

OK, so I am gathering more info before I start this kit.  Some panel lines will need modifying between FG.1 and FGR.2's and a few areas need 'tweaking' on the fuselage.

Is the AirDoc book worth the expense?  Shipping for this thing seems outrageously priced (even before Covid).  I REALLY want to get this correct, my Aires Cockpit superset for the J/S arrived this week, but I need to see what mods need to be done for an FGR.2.

A chap called Antti, has been in touch and super helpful with areas that need fixing on the 'J' kit which will apply to me too. So still putting stuff together before I start a WIP. Planning on having the probe extended and possibly the hook down as was not uncommon.  I would like to fold the wings, but very rarely do you see FGR.2's with their wings folded.

So is the book worth it?  Does anyone have one they might be willing to sell??

Thanks for all your help so far gents, I really appreciate it

Cheers Anthony

10 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

What are you looking for the books (there's two) to provide? 

The books basically chronicle their time in service through text, photographs, and profiles, there aren't any plans, walkarounds, no cockpit, or any detail, shots. 

Aaah thanks Andy!  That's just what I needed to know.  I am looking for a good source of cockpit shots, plans and details.

I would have been disappointed if I had brought them and that wasnt in there.  

I have a feeling Verlinden did a 'Lock on' on FG/R phantoms??  

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Aaah thanks Andy!  That's just what I needed to know.  I am looking for a good source of cockpit shots, plans and details.

I would have been disappointed if I had brought them and that wasnt in there.  

I have a feeling Verlinden did a 'Lock on' on FG/R phantoms??  

I just had a look for the Verlinden book, which I don't have, found one! Having other books in the series, you're better finding what you need on line, will be just as good, for example...

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/301-400/walk378_F-4_FGR.2/walk378.htm

http://cyberplasticmodeler.blogspot.com/2013/09/cockpit-walkaround-vol2-mcdonnell.html

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/phantom/walkaround.php

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-4/fgr2_walk.shtml

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/phantom_fgr.2/index.php?Page=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTT2np3-cbY

OK, I have started the kit.

I will post a WIP when I have more to show, but as for now I am going through drawings and photo's as the conversion (as good as it is, and as happy I am to have it!) still has many surface areas that need fixing.  Although the hard work is done, there are a lot of incorrect panel lines and positions that are still hung over from the original C/D & J kits that simply aren't there, or in the wrong place or missing altogether.

I have had to decide pretty quickly on either an FG.1 or FGR.2 as they have panel differences between them.

I have spent many a long hour recently sorting what needs fixing and comparing all the info I have.  I have made a good start on the fixes, but as I mentioned there is not much to look at right now, just CA filler and panel line adjustments being made.  A lot of surface detail is missing....this will be a long road still.

However thank you Frank and Claus for producing still an awesome conversion.

Once a WIP is up, I am going to need the help of the experts here if I may.....

Cheers Anthony

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, Kagemusha said:

Don't blame you for passing on the Verlinden book. It's a great reference source, but skinny as a rake (I'm guessing about 30-40 pages, all in). I would have thought you could procure the necessary info on-line, for free. 

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Correcting a typo.

1 hour ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Don't blame you for passing on the Verlinden book. It's a great reference source, but skinny as a rake (I'm guessing about 30-40 pages, all in). I would have thought you could procure the necessary info on-line, for free. 

Chris. 

Hi Chris, a kind LSP'er scanned the info I needed from the book and you are correct there is some good stuff in there, especially the cockpits (which I will be needing to look at soon).

But in reality, with the walkarounds on line and the knowledgeable people on-line who have been most helpful and assisted me, I think I am getting a lot of this covered. I am trying to make my build thread a good resource for all things Brit Phantom....there certainly lots of differences, but with perseverance, it is quite do-able

Cheers Anthony 

3 hours ago, Chek said:

I haven't forgotten the rest of the intake stuff Anthony.

I'm just surprised that with the online cockpit shots so few clearly show the upper vents and their bracing struts.

So if anyone gets up top on a Spey intake, some nice clear shots of the vents would be well received.

I can post some intake stuff that Iain has allowed me to post where necessary

I will put some on my thread in a couple of hours time when I have had dinner etc

6 hours ago, Chek said:

I haven't forgotten the rest of the intake stuff Anthony.

I'm just surprised that with the online cockpit shots so few clearly show the upper vents and their bracing struts.

So if anyone gets up top on a Spey intake, some nice clear shots of the vents would be well received.

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I can post some intake stuff that Iain has allowed me to post where necessary

I will put some on my thread in a couple of hours time when I have had dinner etc

Anthony,

Hopefully, you will find what you need...let me know how it goes?

Derek