Pacific Coast MC 200

PietvWdV

Hi Ango!

Thanx for looking! Yea, freehand, but I did oodles of practice on a old kit fuselage before going here, and getting the paint thinned right was a big learning curve. I had to do the smokerings twice, because on the first pass the colour was too light and it did not speak, so today my wrist aches a bit, but it is a good ache, I am very happy ;)

so today my wrist aches a bit, but it is a good ache, I am very happy ;)

as long as your wrist is only sore from painting, mate! :lol: nah, just jokes

Fantstic work Piet, I look forward to seeing it thru to it's conclusion.

Thanx for the encouragement guys, it is greatly appreciated!

I use an Aztec airbrush. The box with the modelnumber on is long gone though :lol: . I used the beige nossle.

The compressor is a little black boy on a stationary bicycle driving a pump. I use the leather whip for high pressures and ordinary vitamins and rave-drugs for the normal stuff. For the smoke ring stuff which is extremely low pressure I find idle threats to be the most effective.

The green paint is my own brew of humbrol and model master enamels (I just kept pouring it together until it yelled "pumpkin") and the browns are combinations of Humbrol Nr 93 and 94.

To be clear I absolutely hate humbrol paints. But in South Africa availability is an issue sometimes, like in this case.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Awesome paint job Piet. I too use the Aztek with a biege nozzle and in my humble opinion there is no better airbrush!

I also agree whole heartedly with Mike, the white ensign colours are superb. I'm currently working on a review of the range so I should have something together soon. They are the same paint as Xtracolour just different colour recepies.

I am really impressed with the "smokle rings"! No need for poxy decals for this modeller!!

Cheers mate,

Jay

Looks very nice Piet. On the photos the green smoke rings look fabulous. Did you get much overspray doing the rings or do you think the airbrush and nozzle you mention prevent a fair bit of that.

cool plane...

Cheers Matt

Thanks for the words guys! :blink:

Koala, I was afraid that any markings would show through the rings, so I just practiced elsewhere until I felt groovy and then went for it. The kit only provides the port view, and I could not find other references, so the rest is a continuation of style.

Matt, I do not have any experience with other airbrushes, so I can't say. The Aztek has different nozzles that have different sprays, but I pretty much use the beige one for everything. It has a paint volume knob and a double action button, so you can set it to spray very fine lines. The trouble with that is that the humbrol paint I used had to be thinned very precicely otherwise the paint would be blown dry in the nossle or splatter all over. Sounds horrible but it was not a stretch to get right. I find the best paints for this brush is Xtracolor and Modelmaster. Modelmaster I rate far above even extracolor,although MM's paint's shades are sometimes very dubious!( for examble their international orange is just a light red, whilst their marker red is a darkish orange :blink: )

The green rings were done first in a lighter green by mistake and then over that in a darker green . The magic happened for me when I took a spunge based fine grain manicure sander and just took the edge off the entire scheme. By spunge based I mean it is a sanding stick, but mounted on spunge and flexible plastic instead of a rigid stick. You can buy them from any manicurist in different grains.

Tonight I had the horrible pleasure to mask and paint in the white band which I forgot :D

Guest LSP_Jay L

Tonight I had the horrible pleasure to mask and paint in the white band which I forgot :D

Now, thats a Jay! :blink:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Now, thats a Jay! :blink:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Hahaha! You said it not me!! :lol: :blink:

While I wait for the future...all the landing gear got cut and aluminium rodds inserted. I dont yet know how to get that effect with plastic and paint :blink: These are fresh painted, no effects of any kind yet, but clearly my B-29 wheels are a winner :blink:

post-4-1133832147.jpg