Pacific Coast MC 200

PietvWdV

Disgust, dispair, revulsion.

This morning the landing gear went on and this is how I feel afterwards. If I had to do it again I would rebuild almost the entire thing from scratch. But I pumeled on through and it's on and at least it is level. When I saw the crappy fit of the wheel wells I should have seen this coming. But at least half of it is my own fault for rushing and not test fitting enough, and now I see what the reviewers meant when they recomended this kit only to experienced multimedia modelers.

And now this kit's gear looks like something I did in school. I'm not even posting a picture. I'm just very sad at myself. I'll have to tell myself I modeled it after a rough landing when it hit a rock or something :D .

The rest of the plane is turning out ok so far. I put up the stringers and will finish the matt stuff today maybe. We'll see, as I am going to stop working now, because clearly the curse is upon us.

Whne this MC 202 comes out,I'll get it, but I will stash it untill such time as I feel I am better equiped to do this kit justice.

Well, I have not given up yet! I ripped the undercariage out this morning and re-assembled it piece by piece. This time I did not bother with simmetry, but rather with what looks right. The undercariage is now just above the level of acceptable, although the kit will have to be displayed to hide the wheel bays, which are now just a mess.

The show must go on!

Tonight I'm getting drunk and tomorrow I'll post some pics of progress.

I am going on holiday tomorrow and before that I wanted to get this horror out of my life.

Having completed this kit I am not ashamed to admit that it was way beyond my abilities to do this. This kit is definitely not for beginners, and I can still not tell with certainty where bad fits were due to the kit or to my limited abilities. Being my first attempt ever with resin, with photoetch (excluding the brass stuff on the P-40) and with cottage industry molding, I am just relieved that I could finish this kit to look a bit like the subject.

I should have introduced myself to these mediums gradually, and preferably with well fitting and easy kits before attempting this one.

I have also learned a few bad habbits I have when building kits, which undoubtedly turned a very challenging project into a real problem project for me. The biggest of these is my lack of patience, which leads to a lack of neatness. But I am learning these and getting to know myself with the kits. My next attempt should be better (I have started it already, it is the Trump MiG3 with a big Eduard Photoetch set...I am going to follow my own advice and learn to work with this stuff without worries of the kit itself so much)

I have also learned some new uses for Future during this project, and also new ways of washing and so on. All usefull always.

But do not misread my misgivings as critisism for this kit. It may have some problems, although most of them seem to be me, but it's a really great kit and a great plane and cudos for Pacific coast for this. I am now a supporter of them for life, but I'll practice a bit more before doing this again!

Well, having said all that, here are pictures of the turd. On the shelf between the other kits it looks OK. I am immensly glad of that, and towards the end expected no more and a lot less.

post-4-1134677021.jpg