Airbrush, compressor and other needed items for a first timer

Hetstaine

Hi all, new member here looking for some info on starter airbrush items. I have just recently got back into modelling in the last year after a 30 odd year  absence ...and dear lord how it has all changed since i was a kid in the '80's  sticking together Hurris and 109's destined for the firecracker pit within a few months!

I've knocked out a bunch of Tamiya 1/35th armour and tried some academy kits as well at this stage and i'm really enjoying it again. Nothing like the peace (and frustration) of spending a few hours playing with plastic, glue, putty and paints. I'm not a big fan of the Academy stuff so far, maybe the Tamiya gear spoiled me but the fit and finish just seems a level below. The 1/48 F-111 that i am still tinkering with was rather painful, but, introduced me to puttying (that fuelage hump join was terrible oob to say the least) sanding and modding with card which was a good learning experience. With all of these builds i have used the Tamiya TS spray cans for prime coats and main colours and the XF range thinned down when brushing smaller pieces.

Next on the table is Hasegawas 1/48 190A8 and after looking at what's available (RLM and the lack of) i don't think i can do it any justice without an airbrush. I also want to be able to have some say in how much paint i am laying down and the ability to detail, mix, thin etc. Cans don't give me that option. I already have a good range of Tamiya paints, X20A, glues, knives, brushes, weathering kits etc plus some oil and chalk weather mixes in bottles that i have made up. I want to be able to see what i can learn with this 1/48 kit before i step up to the 1/32 jobs. At this stage i can afford only one brush so it has to do the lot, detail, prime etc.

Looking at starter brushes i am leaning towards the Neo for Iwata .35mm as it is dual action and gravity fed ...and cheap. Cheap unfortunately is the operative word atm. Most reviews on the Neo seem good and it seems they stepped up the quality a bit from their initial production run.The cheapest i can find a Neo down under is $76.00 plus postage. Still searching for a H&S price and availability.

The cheapest Badger i can find is the Badger 100, dual action gravity feed for $160. A bit on the dear side for me atm.

Then there is the Sparmax, also dual action gravity fed in either .2 or .3 versions for $90

There are Artlogic .3mm dual action brushes for only $60, no idea how these fare against the more common brands and whether they are any good at all or if they would just be an exercise in frustration for a beginner owing to it's cheapness and possible build quality and tolerances.

Another entry level brush that i have seen good reviews on is the H&S ultra but i am struggling to find it available in Australia. It accepts .2 and .4mm so gives a bit more flexibilty than the Neo i would think?  Still searching for a H&S price and availability so it may be not available here.

Compressor. I would like to get one with a tank (and reg) so i don't have pulse issues, can adjust pressure and it doesn't have to constantly run. I am currently looking at the 1/6hp Artlogic AC1418 3.0L tank, 50 psi max, 23 lpm model for $180

I will also need cleaning fluids (sticking with the Tamiya range of XF paints atm) some sort of airbrush cleaning kit and maybe something like the iwata  table top cleaning station? Will that all be enough to get me on my feet?

Being in Australia everything seems dearer than the rest of the world and i do want to make sure i get the best bang for my buck and don't end up with cheap rubbish. Any help on everything i would need to get up and going is muchly appreciated :)

If allowed, as an example, here is a pic of what is probably the best kit i have managed so far with cans. It was also my first foray into using $3 play doh for masking. It does show to me how lifeless i think my kits are turning out though with a lack of preshading, using highlighting, modulation or any of the other styles you can achieve with an airbrush.

C1Ph4Qh.jpg

Welcome aboard, sir!

:post1:

Firstly, let me way that I think your tank looks really well done, and I want to congratulate you on doing such a fine job without access to an airbrush. I'm not sure I could pull that off!

Of the airbrushes you list as potential options, I'd probably go with the Neo. Iwata is a reliable and trusted brand, and while I haven't experienced the Neo myself, it does seem ideally suited to your needs and circumstance. Don't bother looking for a cheap H&S - that's like looking for a cheap BMW.

Kev

I got the Iwata Neo, and am very satisfied with it. BTW, the correct pressure and paint mix is key to get a good result regardless of what AB you have.

As for compressor I have the cheapest I could find and it has an 8 litre tank. Cost me 600 Skr which is about 70 USD. It is noisy, but you fill it up when away from home (use a timer) and then you got enough air to last a session. Getting a bigger tank, like 24 litre, add very little to the price. 15$ or so.

Thanks all. Looks like i'll start with the Neo. The only bad review i read was Dons which was a few years agonow and had to do with centreing which i believe has been resolved by Iwata since.

@Kevin, thanks mate, just patience and time which i have plenty of atm. Plus i really wanted to attempt the three colour camo. The tracks were the real challenge as it was an original '96 or '98 kit and they were warped almost beyond use. I had to heat them in water and then set them in a jig to be able to use them as i like doing oob kits and seeing what you can get out of what is supplied. To do another one i would definitely get a current kit though!

@Hardcore, nice to hear the Neo is a goer. I intend to box my compressor in and add some insulation to keep noise down for night spraying. Luckily i have a decent sized garage so should be able to make a nice setup.

@Scanmandan, in my research travels i did see mentions of adding a trap closer to the brush owing to the heated air still carrying moisture further than the trap straight off the compressor. I'm in Brisbane so she does get fairly muggy up here! 

I looked at some of those gun type trigger brushes and would much prefer that type, maybe further down the line when money allows. I wonder if there is a mod kit to adapt the standard dual action trigger to a gun type?

Once i do get setup practice will be the order of the day. I might grab a cheapo airfix kit for that purpose.

I have an old but good pc power supply and a bunch of fans stashed in the cupboard so knocking out a booth should not be too hard a task if needed. The ones i have looked at online seem a bit small for the dollars. I reckon i could make a decent sized one with 4 or 5 fans across the back with some ducting cheaper.

Thanks again all :)

Edited by Hetstaine

I would recommend an airbrush that you can easily get spare parts for. Quickly and cheap.

At least I would appreciate if somebody told me that when I re-started modeling. 

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Ditch the compressor and get CO2.  It will cost the same or less than a decent compressor, it has basically no moving parts, no noise, and ZERO moisture ever.  A 20 lb bottle will last many, many models.  And a refill is usually around $20.

Does this allow for maintaining constant pressure? I used small bottles from Revell once, it was not a nice experience, especially because of the size.

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Sparmax G35, you won't regret it! 

I have seen the SP35, is that the same? I am also looking at a Sparmax max4 that a guy is getting into stock next week.

Eagle Driver beat me :)

Edited by Hetstaine

That pistol grip Sparmax is nice. I ended up finding one via a make up in Sydney, might be a bit pricey at $140 plus postage though.

I have plenty to wade through now, just need to work out prices and see what i can end up with, thanks all!

I like my pistol grip (Its an Iwata though not Sparmax) but dont use it as much as my normal brush. I find it is more comfortable to use for longer periods, but find it more of a PITA to clean. 

I usually take apart (minimally) my AB to clean it prior to putting it away, at the very least removing the needle and such, and its just a bit more work with pistol grips.  

I probably should use my pistol more, but my Iwata HP-CS is SUCH a work hoarse and works so well with nearly 0 upkeep and a hella stout needle that I dont really touch my other 2 airbrushes that much. 

48 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I like my pistol grip (Its an Iwata though not Sparmax) but dont use it as much as my normal brush. I find it is more comfortable to use for longer periods, but find it more of a PITA to clean. 

I usually take apart (minimally) my AB to clean it prior to putting it away, at the very least removing the needle and such, and its just a bit more work with pistol grips.  

I probably should use my pistol more, but my Iwata HP-CS is SUCH a work hoarse and works so well with nearly 0 upkeep and a hella stout needle that I dont really touch my other 2 airbrushes that much. 

Now there are two reasons why I always recommend pistol grips:

1. They are comfortable, easy to use by airbrushers not-borned-with-it. Me-kinda-guys. I don't have the talent for it.

2. Ten years ago when I got my first Iwata Revolution TR1, some company /don't remember who they were/ offered 10 year warranty on the airbrush, IF you don't dis-assemble it. Not for cleaning or anything.

Now, the only way to clean it was through flushing. I use it for 4 years before ending selling it to a friend of mine. He uses it still, never been cleaned as we understand it properly.

Only been flushed. Fresh paint, 3-4 cups of cleaner. And strong ones too sometimes.

Never a problem, never a disrupted flow, never nothing.

You point, shoot, flush, repeat.

By the way Hetstaine, if you insist on Sparmax, let me know in PM. I will see what I can do to help. I have contacts and who knows, the proper info might leaks somewhere.