Silhouette Portrait 2 Settings for Custom Masks

Thunnus

will try inkscape   btw does anybody have a  design for the revell mustang for the  357 front checker  pattern?  I  did a  trace in  silhouette but I do not want to test it on the model  the  trace was meh.  

It is possible to skip the manual tracing step via AutoCAD/Inkscape/CoreDraw using the PixScan mat that Silhouette offers.  I've not used it but it's supposed to give you the ability to simply take a photo of an existing pattern (i.e. Decal Sheet) mounted on the PixScan matt and directly import that into Silhouette Studio.  Anybody have any experience creating masks this way?

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

It is possible to skip the manual tracing step via AutoCAD/Inkscape/CoreDraw using the PixScan mat that Silhouette offers.  I've not used it but it's supposed to give you the ability to simply take a photo of an existing pattern (i.e. Decal Sheet) mounted on the PixScan matt and directly import that into Silhouette Studio.  Anybody have any experience creating masks this way?

I just scanit via   my printer scanner then do a trace  however   you get a lot of noise and poor separation between the colors

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Bill M. said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but I’m thinking of purchasing a Portrait Silhouette machine for cutting masking stencils. I’m wondering if it will cut stencils from a word document or a pdf I have on my computer? 

How that normally would work Bill, is that you would import that into the Silhouette software and then make a "cutout" that the program can follow to trace out the cut masks.

You want the image to be as crystal clear and sharp as you can get it to have the Silhouette software cut things out, ideally importing an .SVG/Vector file. If you only have the .doc or .pdf file it will still work, it just may take a bit more fenagling.  

On 2/10/2021 at 1:16 PM, Out2gtcha said:

How that normally would work Bill, is that you would import that into the Silhouette software and then make a "cutout" that the program can follow to trace out the cut masks.

You want the image to be as crystal clear and sharp as you can get it to have the Silhouette software cut things out, ideally importing an .SVG/Vector file. If you only have the .doc or .pdf file it will still work, it just may take a bit more fenagling.  

Thanks!
Well, based your reports, I went ahead and ordered a Portrait Silhouette 3. I’m looking forward to playing with it!

Bill M.

Just now, Bill M. said:

Thanks!
Well, based your reports, I went ahead and ordered a Portrait Silhouette 3. I’m looking forward to playing with it!

Bill M.

Great news!   You will have ZERO regrets on that purchase. Honestly, in the 8 or more years Ive had my original Silhouette, I have likely paid for it about 10 times over by now.

Its literally changed the way I model, as I no longer have to hunt around for decals to match most any scheme I want. I just make one up on the Silhouette! 

my auto blade dies due to my  inexperience  and they are very difficult to  acquire right now so I bought a cb09  no regrets it is not an auto blade but works great and the blades are replaceable  .  I just posted some designs on Kevin futters website  btw https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/

27 minutes ago, dashotgun said:

my auto blade dies due to my  inexperience  and they are very difficult to  acquire right now so I bought a cb09  no regrets it is not an auto blade but works great and the blades are replaceable  .  I just posted some designs on Kevin futters website  btw https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/

Autoblade is a bit of an unnecessary luxury anyway I reckon, I rarely need to change my blade depth and when do, taking it out and adjusting it takes literally seconds! 

Edited by mozart

I have to admit something.......

I purchased 3 extra blades right after I got my Silouhette 1 back in 2012....or somewhere around there. I set my blade depth for the giant roll of Oramask 810 I had purchased way back then and have not once.....and I mean never once have I ever actually changed the blade depth, let alone actually changed out the blade. 

I also haven't tried cutting anything but Oramask 810, so hey- ho.