2nd build in 30 years... Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-1D

Eenyweeny

IMG_0505_zpsadq5po2c.jpgIMG_0506_zpsjg2llhce.jpg

Made a start on the control surfaces, I suddenly had flash backs to these parts on the other Corsair I built... These tiny hinges that must be made and inserted into each control surface. Unfortunately, having made a cracking job of this one and another the same, as instructed, I realised that it isn't possible to insert them into the flaps already assembled. It was at this point that I invented a whole raft of swear words as I spent about an hour trying to disassemble them! 

IMG_0511_zpsmv5lq2q3.jpgIMG_0507_zpskfmjkite.jpg

A few more swear words later...

Time to start assembling the wings, not sure whether to bother with massive detail in the gun bays or to button them up.

Oops... I might have just accidentally purchased another corsair! this time the Tamiya F4u-1d that I have been lusting over for quite a while. 

I should have just bought it right from the start... what an absolutely beautiful kit, which puts me in a bit of a dilemma! I can't possibly leave it on the shelf, but then I'd feel bad about putting the Trumpy to one side. Decisions decisions!!!

I'm sure you're right, but I can't help but salivate over the level of detail on offer with the Tamiya... the cockpit alone is a masterpiece, plus they provide colour photo's of a corsair cockpit from lots of angles! Plus two sheets of photo etch parts... 

Modelling has changed a LOT in 30+ years!

A little more progress to report... 

IMG_0513_zps9omtofv7.jpgIMG_0512_zpsj5mykmhh.jpg

Guns painted and fitted to wing. I painted the guns satin black and then gave them a wash with highly thinned flat aluminium. They look better in the flesh than they do in the photos.

IMG_0516_zps440ap53z.jpgIMG_0514_zpszwuise8l.jpg

The finished wing. The metallic colours catch the light badly in the photo. I painted the gun belts with bright brass and then gave them a treatment of black wash to bring out some of the fine detail. not sure what else to do in there... I'm only leaving this side open and have glued in the covers on the other completed wing. I'm having photobucket issues, so couldn't get any more photos to upload. Is there any other way of adding pictures to a post instead of using the torturous photobucket?

Thanks for looking!

Beautiful work, love how clean and crisp the paint work is. A word about the heavy wash in the tail wheel area ?.. the prop wash, rain & dirt from tarmacs and taxiways, dust, ect would make the area dirtier than you might think.( I'm an ex aviation tech so I know a bit about the subject :-)  ) Your wash might be a tad overdone but not by much. Finish this, have fun, learn... then dive head first into the Tamyia and have REAL fun !!

:popcorn:

Further progress on the main wing and folding mechanism...

IMG_0518_zpsrqzjyvsn.jpgIMG_0519_zpsr7qecqge.jpg

Finally achieved a decent fit, with the unbelievably fiddly PE hinges... That's as good as it's going to get and I have no further patience to try to improve them!

IMG_0520_zpsoicikjt4.jpg

The instructions called for all of the end of the wing to be painted the main colour... however, that didn't appear to completely reflect reality and looked a bit boring and fake, this is my attempt to liven things up!

IMG_0525_zpsw4yzpqgg.jpg

I gave the wheel wells a coat of interior yellow and will be giving them a heavy wash to highlight the minor detail. Disappointingly I have noticed the worlds supply of tooling marks in one of the wells... none at all in the other! I'm not planning to fix these as they will be underneath the plane and not likely seen.

Just need to fit the oil coolers, then I can mate the wing with the fuselage.

Thanks for looking!

BlackCanopy, for this build, I think that's a step too far! For my next build... the sky's the limit! I have a rather beautiful Tamiya 1/32 F4u-1D, which I have been drooling over for some time. It's truly a step up from the Trumpeter kit in terms of detail, including seat belts etc, I'm sure for most f you, with the skills I've seen, you wouldn't need the Tamiya and could do the same level of detail with this kit! 

My problem is lack of materials, as I'm only temporarily located in Canada, for the next 2 years. I left all my serious modelling gear (including several lovely 7' wing span flying R/C warbirds) in my loft in the UK. I'm slowly gathering a stash of new materials. So I'm going to do the best I can with this kit and then really go to town with the Tamiya!