Hasegawa Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

dennismcc

Nice, one of my favorite Japanese aircraft and likely their best.  Sending you this as an FYI in case you weren't aware, ProfiModeler makes a nice set of barrels and a pitot tube:

http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/p32264-wing-gun-barrels--frank-type-a-1/

Keep up the great work!

Scott

15 minutes ago, Scott Negron said:

Nice, one of my favorite Japanese aircraft and likely their best.  Sending you this as an FYI in case you weren't aware, ProfiModeler makes a nice set of barrels and a pitot tube:

http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/p32264-wing-gun-barrels--frank-type-a-1/

Keep up the great work!

Scott

Thank you for that Scott, and yes it was one of their best, I'll look at the barrels and pitot, tube but at the moment I'm buying stuff for the next build !

Cheers

Dennis

A small update but to me an important one, I have at last finished the tail markings, rather than spending a lot of time masking off for the red sections of the tail markings I used the red walkway lines from the kit decals, not perfect but saved me a lot of time and stress.

I also completed the exhausts, initially painted with Humbrol H113, I then rubbed on lead that I had sanded from a pencil, it looks effective to my eye.

I haven't had time to do much for the past couple of weeks because I have been decorating at the daughters house, that is now finished so I can crack on with this.

fd0Fqg.jpg

eSBfK5.jpg

VmJMFT.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

In the age of the ability for us as modelers to br able to cut/shape/make our own schemes has really changed the modeling game IMHO.

You are not wrong, in the 90's I kept buying conversion kits (Paragon, Warbirds etc) but the brick wall was the markings, I could bodge together national markings from available AM decals but codes were usually not available because the kits were not commercially available.

What generic codes were available in 1/32 scale came in strange versions of Sky as well.

In 2008 I discovered Miracle Paint Masks, then I was let loose. The first conversion that I built was a Paragon/Hasagawa Spitfire Mk.VIII with Mal providing me with the codes, then followed a Spitfire Mk. XII and a Mk.XIV, with each one the markings became more and more mask based rather that decals.

So now I prefer masks to decals and can build more "one offs" than I could before the mask era.

Cheers

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Well I haven't given up, despite Christmas and some illness it is still taking shape, did some paint fading and general dirtying up (not finished yet) and applied some decals. The decals were as usual for me a disaster the three yellow covers you can see were initially decals but they looked awful so I masked and painted them. The "45" on the tail looked a completely different yellow but I left then alone, but I may change that. The other three stencils silvered despite putting them on a gloss background so they got the Tamiya tape treatment and were removed.

Before I fitted the engine and cowling I did some exhaust staining so there wouldn't be any clean bits behind the exhaust then a coat of Xtracolor Satin was applied to the whole airframe which looked good. It's a shame that I could not keep or replicate the pre varnish finish of the topside matt paint with satin and gloss patches that resulted from me handling the model.

wkbEJ8.jpg

I seem to be having some problem with Imageshack as when I try to insert images the little box on this page keeps going pink with a red outline on some photos, the one above went OK but the others failed, all have been resized to 800X600, very strange.

Could be back to business as usual, will try again.

VjsOMt.jpg

Those wheel wells look too clean I will have to change that.

zJXA8J.jpg

Spoke too soon, back to the pink again.

poz68ypnj

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Added photos

11 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Absolutely love the slight paint fading Dennis.   I always think this is over done on a lot of great builds.  I also enjoy all the updates.  I’m glad you’re back on the Ki-84!

Troy

Thanks Troy, that's the way I like to do it, used but not abused, besides I'm rubbish at heavy weathering !

Cheers

Dennis

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Man Dennis, that is turning out to be a super attractive model.   Looking forward to the finish! 

Thank you for that, and boy oh boy I am looking forward to finishing it, it's been long build but I am more than happy with it.

Cheers

Dennis