Roden Pfalz D.III

CANicoll

26 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Airco_D.H.9A_ExCC.jpg

Are you sure you need that friend?

Richard

I ask myself that same question all the time. ;-)  One reason why I have not built the WNW DH 9a myself, esp after watching @seiran01 build his.  That think is literally held together with bits of wire...

UGH.  Ran into some big assembly issues, all self-inflicted.  Thought I paid close attention to the instructions (where the fit is kind of vague) but got the machine gun mount backwards and that cascaded into a non-fit when I tried to get the rest of the cockpit into place.  I also only 1 of three of the engine cradle mounts to actually fit (and get the engine centered into the opening for the propeller).

SO got it mostly taken apart and put back in the box.  BUSY week this week, including club meeting on Wednesday then heading down to NC on Friday for DowneastCon 2018 with some of the club members so will be delayed a bit on progressing with this build.  Anyone heading to NC this weekend?

Ciao all!

Chris

Kevin,

Definitely!  Taking a lot of care now to really look at the pics and keep up with the test fitting.  Back at it a few hours after getting back from DownEastCon, and happy to say I THINK I have everything pointing in the correct direction. :beer4:  But need to get some of the adhesive REALLY dry before I do too much more.  Painted the seat and did some other small bits just to try and keep things moving along.

Washed the parts for a 1/72 Catalina so will be starting that pretty soon.  After seeing the black P-39 Spare Parts, I picked up the materials for the Black Cat Catalinas in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale.  Starting on the smaller bird first to see how it goes - and also have a 1/48 P-61 which has always interested me since seeing the plane at Udvar Hazy.  We'll see when I get started on that. 

The shrouds for Lou IV should arrive on Tuesday so will get those sitting in the sun, primed and then painted.  Will do a review of the shrouds to go along with the exhausts as well.  At DownEastCon bought another Revell P-51D for a ridiculous price so have that to play with as well.

Thanks for keeping up!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Latest update.  DID finally get the fuselage closed up and while there is still the ghost of a seam on the top of the fuselage, I'm just going to live with it.  I also figured out that I used two different Vallejo 'Red's' on the nose - a slightly darker and richer RLM 26 which Vallejo calls 'Brown' which I used on one panel as a 'replacement' panel, and then the nose is covered in RLM 23, which is RED (all in caps!).

A few WIP pics..  Yes, she is bright!:

Ya948C.jpg

And a bit of a closer up to a replacement panel.  It does not show up well here at all, but the color is definitely darker and that ripple in the paint by the corner is much harder to see.  It is also worn a bit more than the rest of the nose:

WRibLF.jpg

I previously had done the wings so I could get started on the decals and the rigging.  I don't know if its me or what, but every single Roden decal cracked on me.  Every single one and I was VERY careful after the first one did.  The kit is apparently from 1999 so the decals are almost 20 years old.  Anyone else have this problem with Roden decals?  Also, once I put them on the plane, no matter how much water I laid down before setting the decal, they STUCK to the surface pretty much where they landed.  That was a PITA - getting a brush underneath, gently lifting so I could re-position.  I have put down a gloss coat and a flat coat over the decals at this point.

xpvMd7.jpg

The radiator on the top wing is still masked - for now.  Wanted to get the wing done and dry and then I'll tackle that - probably to give me a break from the rigging.

That's it for now.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
Fix some text.

Nice looking work, Chris!  I had the same kind of experiences with Roden decals.  The larger decals got replaced by spare WNW decals as I found them almost unworkable.  The smaller decals weren't too bad because I could put them on a huge bubble of water.

Gaz

So promptly forgot Mike's advice about putting some dish soap into the decal water.  One of the fuselage decals did crack but just a bit.

Got the only two decals that appear on the fuselage - those iconic half moons.  Now just letting everything dry before another gloss coat and flat coat.

71VKWD.jpg

vfmcTo.jpg

Edited by CANicoll
Added photos.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the very long delay.  Finally made a bit of progress on the rigging, yay!  Love the bright colors but have not even started with weathering, etc.

BMpVOl.jpg

yZOsa6.jpg

gw08Nh.jpg

Landing strut is a bit misaligned but is flexible so trying to straighten it out.  Love the bright colors, I wonder if during the war if they were really this bright?  Rudder is just a press fit for now.

woUxOz.jpg

Slowly getting there!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll