3D printed Tribflugel

wedfactory

I picked up a 3D printer a little over a year ago and have been playing with it for a while. I decided to create my own model and for this i chose the Tribflugel (I hope I got the spelling right on that  :hmmm:)  I created the original model in Autocad, in the first pic you can see all the steps I made in creating this model. To keep things simple I mode this model an inflight model. Didn't have to worry about the landing gear then.  :whistle: (I know my current limits in 3D modeling)

cad%20file%203.jpg

In this picture is the drawing that I based my 3D model on in the cad program.

cad%20file%202.jpg

And these are the final pieces I plan to print out.

cad%20file%201.jpg

The reason for the pieces is that my printer can only print a max of 6"x6"x6" priont volumn and since I wanted a 1/32 scale model I had to cut it into pieces to fit in the print volumn. This is a rendering of the pieces and how that will go together.

tri%20-%20exploded%20view.jpeg

I have printed most of the pieces out so far (at least once due to technical difficulties and/or user error onthe printer :oops: ) Currently I have the fuselage most together. The front piece has not been glued on yet. I am thinkning about trying to priont out cockpit for it and will need to reprint the front section. Right now the "cockpit is just a square tub in the fuselage. The middle section will be spinnable but I am not going to motorize it.

DSC_0115.jpg

I am reprinting the blades for the model. The first set printed but will require A LOT of post print work to make passable. The solution was to change the position of the file on the printer bed to require less support material. In the pictures below the top blade is from the first set of prints and the bottom is the new set of blades that I am printing right now. 

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

The canopy right now is just a hunk of plastic that will be painted over, although I might get a buddy of mine to make several vacuum-form pieces from it.

tri%20-%20canopy.jpeg

But in the end run this is what I am aiming for mass wise...

Triebflugel-above.jpg

Triebflugel-front.jpg

The printer I have is a Lulzbot Mini. All my final prints are at .05 mm layers, so print times do get long.

19667503_745864605615422_618370755624704

I use HIPS for myfilament because it is basicly then same plastic as most model kits so all my standard model tools and supplies work with it easily, even can use stand modeling glues so no need for CA to glue parts together. Once some thig has printed I used a hand sander with 120 grit sandpaper to do my first round of sanding.

23213251_802611346607414_620596463265500

This pic shows the difference from right off the printer (left) and first round of sanding (right) In this case a handle for a full size German WW2 Granade I was making. Used the "Wood" filament, did smell like burnt wood when printing.

22553100_794553400746542_683740379658821

One I have a part to this stage I use sanding stick to get it smoother. It doesn't take to long to do this. In the pics below is a rocket booster I am doing forthe Sanger Antipodal Bonmber I am doing in 72 scale. The first pic is after the hand sander and the second is after sanding sticks and white squadron putty to fill seams and gaps.

20024209_752581538277062_247602408573334

20157378_753611218174094_109987604694661

At this stage is where I scribe in the panel lines. (Here is the bomber with scribed panel lines)

20157232_753611244840758_119394925590731

At thispoint the model is ready for paint and beacuse I used HIPS as my filament I can paint it with the same techniques I use and kit models.

The tribflugel is being printed and has not been sanded with the hand sander yet so still early in the build process.

Dang that is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see what you do with the cockpit. Any idea on a colour scheme for the beast?

The cockpit is the weak point, Right now it is just an empty box in the fuselage. I either have to scratch build a cockpit or it will back to the cad and rework the front part ofthe model to create a cockpit. not sure of what the cockpit would even look like but woudl guess I could copy a 262 cockpit, or something close.