Spitfire Fabric Gun Cover Questions ???

chuck540z3

Hi Guys,

I'm building the Tamiya Mk IXc kit for a Spitfire that was circa 1942-3 or so and I'm wondering about the red fabric covers over the gun ports.  I know nothing about this feature, Google isn't much help and the kit instructions and other sources of info that I can find aren't much better.  Now the questions:

1)  Were these for aerodynamics and to prevent dirt from getting into the gun?

2)  Were the covers always red?

3)  When the gun was fired, were the openings always repaired?

4)  Should the cover show the hole impression behind?

4)  Any other info on these covers that I should know about?

Thanks guys,

Chuck

It was a fabric patch to reduce drag so increase speed, the dope used to taughten it was red, there are only really two coloured dopes, red. And silver, silver is a top coat that also protects the material from ageing by sunlight, no point using that on a patch that will last literally hours, the patches were self adhesive, they also kept the guns from freezing, kept crud out and were a quick indicator if the guns had died etc, I would read

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/fabric-over-guns.23467/

Edited by TonyT

Hi Guys,

I'm building the Tamiya Mk IXc kit for a Spitfire that was circa 1942-3 or so and I'm wondering about the red fabric covers over the gun ports.  I know nothing about this feature, Google isn't much help and the kit instructions and other sources of info that I can find aren't much better.  Now the questions:

1)  Were these for aerodynamics and to prevent dirt from getting into the gun? Both + helped insulate a from freezing at high altitude

2)  Were the covers always red? Generally Red doped self adhesive if RAF Spits as far as I'm aware. Cannons had tubular sleeves over the end, (6"?) not sure what colour or whether or not these were put over every single time.

3)  When the gun was fired, were the openings always repaired? Yes, always after rearming

4)  Should the cover show the hole impression behind? Most references show a slight indentation over the hole area when patched over - especially during or after flight

4)  Any other info on these covers that I should know about? Generally replaced completely after rearming but if i have seen these occasionally over patched. Usually neat and pretty regimented too but again speedy turn around may have wobbled to odd rigger's hand...  An added benefit was to indicate to the ground crew whether or not the guns had been fired and needed rapid rearming before the pilot had even landed. Similarly if one or more of the guns had jammed before firing it would be easy to see which very early. 

Thanks guys,

Chuck

Tony T's caught this. My quick answers in bold FWIW

Torben

Accept the bullets from them gracefully?...

Did you know that the Army used to issue condoms to put over the end of rifle barrels to keep all the  water and crud out until some dogooders heard about it and accused them of providing troops with condoms to use elsewhere... so a sensible Idea was scuppered..

Also on a lighter note...

Stalin worried about the state of play with his russian troops and their sexually transmitted diseases contacted Churchill and requested condoms for his men.. Churchill contacted Durex and requested them to make extra large condoms and package them as small, these were then supplied to the Russian army in the hopes that it would make them feel inferior.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/churchills-toyshop-secret-ww2-lab-5743580

Edited by TonyT