RAF P-39D

Neo

On 12/18/2018 at 10:45 PM, BiggTim said:

Looks great! you don't see those a lot.

Except for that puny P-38 in the wrong scale next to it. :)

Thanks Tim i like to do less common scheme. Haha yeah thats "Down Beat" i would gladly do it in 1/32 if there was a nice kit

On 12/19/2018 at 2:44 AM, Fvdm said:

Wow, this a real beauty!

Thank you

On 12/19/2018 at 4:31 AM, dodgem37 said:

Really like what you've done.  Good show!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks

On 12/19/2018 at 6:55 PM, TorbenD said:

Lovely work

Torben

Thnks you

On 12/20/2018 at 12:33 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Looks great, Neo!

:goodjob:

Thanks Ray. I can now take my lurker badge off!!

On 12/19/2018 at 3:11 AM, MikeC said:

Looks absolutely great.  However, hope you won't mind a minor feedback item?   The ailerons are deflected, which is a nice touch, it adds even more to the overall effect; but the stick is central.  Intended as constructive feedback, not destructive criticism: it's a superb Cobra, and you certainly don't see many RAF examples in this scale.

Ha good catch!! And thank you for the constructive feedback.

So the funny story in there.. the stick was dry fitted. I had plan for right stick and slitly forwards.

Then i installed the ip and everithing else and spend a huge amout of time on that pe throttle box.

Then i installed the canopy and totally forgot the stick... So trough the rogh door was my only access and the instrument pannel made de fit really hard. And after knoking 2 pe handles i decided i could live with it. 

Note to self double check all the parts are in before closing up!

1 minute ago, John1 said:

Can't believe I missed this build before.   What a great job on a very unique subject.  Fantastic work on the camo scheme.   

Question - did the RAF actually fly these in combat?   

Thank you. I was not that active so this thread spend its time on the last pages!!

So RAF did fly these. Im not sure how much combat the actually saw

It was used by only one Squadron - 601 Sqn at Duxford - and only used on a small number of operations.  In the light of this experience, and for other reasons, most of the RAF-spec aircraft stayed with the USAAC, where they were designated P-400.  These certainly saw combat over New Guinea.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, MikeC said:

It was used by only one Squadron - 601 Sqn at Duxford - and only used on a small number of operations.  In the light of this experience, and for other reasons, most of the RAF-spec aircraft stayed with the USAAC, where they were designated P-400.  These certainly saw combat over New Guinea.

They flew a combat sortie with 8 P39 and only four came back (or something like that). 

Brits decided not to use it as a fighter. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:49 AM, MikeC said:

I believe they were also a mainstay of the fighter force on Guadalcanal through the earlier part of the battle.   Their cannon proved to be a pretty efficient "barge-busting" tool.