Fündekals P-51 Stencil question

Fooesboy

Hi guys,

I have purchased a set of the Fündekals P-51 stencils solely for the prop decals.

Their instructions... http://www.fundekals.com/p51Stencil.html have a number of options but give no guide lines as which to use. Any help in this regards would be much appreciated.

This will be going on my IMCTH Mustang that I am loosely basing on "Daddys Girl" (decals also from Fündekals) as I plan on also building a Tamiya P-51 to display along side at some stage

No pitcures attached as I am yet to sort out my hosting.....  :BANGHEAD2: 

Thanks Tony,

It looks like the Hobbydecal link you have provided is showing a cuffed and non-cuffed propeller?

My question really is in regards to decals #69 & 71 for the frontside of the prop and #72, 73, 74 & 75 on the back.

Chris,

No prop markings are found on the back side of either props used on Mustangs.

Generally speaking, the HS logo is found on cuffed props. The data placard goes on the cuff. The HS logo goes about half way up the prop when measured from the top of the cuff to the prop tip.

Uncuffed props were generally Aeroproducts units. The Aeroproduct Logos are the round. The HS logos are oval.

Not sure if HS props were used uncuffed.

Midwest Aero restored a 51 in Daddy's Girl livery. They're known for exacting research and restoration. I know it's a restoration. They used a cuffed HS prop on her. Go to midwestaero.com

The have the complete rebuild of Daddy's Girl photo documented on the site.

HTH

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

You can see below that this aircraft does not carry any stenciling on the back (which is actually the face) of the prop.  Whether those stencils were ever there is a matter for discussion but it is clear that they are not present when this photograph was taken. 

F1kivaN.jpg

Below, you'll recognize the Fundekals stencil instruction sheet (or portion thereof).  I have circled the areas that are readily visible in many photos of P-51 props.  The 6" yellow warning tips (67) are standard across all P-51D props.  68 and 70 are also pretty standard, one is the data for maintenance of the prop  (drawing number, low blade angle, high blade angle) and the other is the mfg. identification decal.  72 I believe is where blade angle measurements were to be taken from but that's just a hunch based on my aircraft maintenance experience.  69, 73, 74 and 75 are unknown to me but that is not to say they did not exist, they probably did but what purpose they served I don't know.  I do not have a Hamilton-Standard prop manual for the P-51B/C or D so I have no way to determine the purpose of these markings.

NhvaVWr.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

Tim

EDIT:  See my post below showing the engineering drawing containing these markings.

Edited by Juggernut

Geoff and Tim,

Thank you very much guys, you have both given me a lot more insight as to what I am trying to depict.

I think for the front I'll just use 68 & 70, then I'll take a look at the back and see if I wish to add 72 and or 75 to add a bit of interest.

Thanks again!

Found it....it's on an engineering drawing inR6oeF.png

From reading the Engineering print, the + sign is a gunsight high/low boresight mark and the one further toward the tip is a gun camera boresight mark.  The note says that not all markings will be present on each blade so I'm thinking that when the aircraft left the factory, these stencils were intact.  After use, they probably wore off.  Decal 75 it appears is a speed reference mark but for what I have not yet determined.

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks for all the help guys, in the end I have used them all except 69 and 71.... I like the look of a couple on the backside, just added a bit of interest.

The Fündekals have settled down great and were a dream to apply, I'll post a photo once they are clear coated.

Edited by Fooesboy