ZM 1/48 F4J Phantom: 7/19/17: WONDERS NEVER CEASE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Incaroad

Got ya. I have the Academy kit as well and what I was referring to when I brought up the FOD cover size issue, is  I would have assumed the ones for ZM, Hasegawa and Academy would be interchangeable and they weren't. The ZM intakes are wider and a bit taller and the FOD cover for the other two kits are two small. The DEF Models FOD Covers are the close in height but needed to be widened to fit.

I have a few sets of the XMM seamless intakes and never thought of using them as I didn't think there would be a problem and I'm willing to bet with a little work, they will work just fine. Just wish I thought of that weeks ago.

Excellent point about the slat walls - I need to go take a look as I'm sure I completely missed it.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Whose 48th F4 do you have in the stash?

Right with you on the tamiya F4's  - awesome kits and I'll be looking forward to your build down the road. I have the Tamiya F4J in the stash as well and a boatload of GT resin conversion sets and upgrades for turning it into a B.

Peter

Interesting point about the slat walls, as I've read several reviews, followed a few builds, including one here, and none mentioned any issue about the slats. 

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Barry

Thanks for pointing that out.

And that does bring up another sore point. Call it nit picking but the leading edge flaps and the trailing edge flaps are all separate parts and need to be fitted with care. While they are separate parts there is no provision in the kit to have then in the extended and lowered configuration. Again makes little sense. If you designed the kit with those parts as separate  pieces, why not offer the option of extended and lowered or retracted?

I know I do get on a roll but there are so many things that are done with no real purpose. It would be far easier to have just molded them with the wings

barry, I know I promised a few photos of the opposite side wall of the front office and I'll have them for the next update.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Whose 48th F4 do you have in the stash?

Right with you on the tamiya F4's  - awesome kits and I'll be looking forward to your build down the road. I have the Tamiya F4J in the stash as well and a boatload of GT resin conversion sets and upgrades for turning it into a B.

Peter

It's the Hasegawa 30th Anniv kit.  Will be one of the first jet kits I build so may use that as a trial before jumping into the Tamiya kit.  I want to do one of the Vietnam Sharksmouth jets.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Super choice for sure and a great way to to get your feet wet before 'jumping' into he tamiya F4.

Looking forward you starting the Hasegawa build

Peter

Peter,

I suspect that the wing is molded with the flap as a separate piece because it is the same piece used in the F-4S kit with has leading edge slats.

This allows the same wing mold to be used for both the J and S version. Just my guess.

Barry

Guest Peterpools

Barry

That seems correct as there are many parts on the sprues that are F4S parts and not used. It does allow ZM the flexibility to offer a second varient; the F4S.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Gary,

Like I told Pete, it's a blessing in disguise. FODs for some reason rarely show up in the better builds. I guess the temptation to show off the work needed for seamless intakes discourages them.  But FODs done correctly, with a little added details like decals, will really make a big visual difference IMHO.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Mike

Thanks for following

Slow progress ... fat fingers little parts and the canopy masking could drive me to drink. Good thing I'm on Weight Watchers for sure ... no drinking on my point count for the day

Peter