Tamiya announces 1/16 scale M1A2 Abrams

Barry

awesome!  I am hanging out for an M-48 though. As fas as I am aware, the only 1/16 option is the one shown on Ludwigs Hobby seite, although there is no working link and I can't find images or more info.

http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/US%20Fahrzeug%20HQ.html

Here is the latest it's looking to be an awesome kit.

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22675

Bill is correct you will have to scratch most all added detail. Here is my work thus far on detailing the Heng Long 1/16 RC Abrams.

If it's not green it's mine. :)

Barry,

Your Abrams build is simply the best I've seen in any scale. I have SERIOUS respect for your skills! From the few pics I've seen,Tamiya offering doesn't seem all that different from the Heng Long release, for example, both are missing the anti-skid texture and numerous small details. However, there is currently a lot of aftermarket for the latter, so for the price HL may be the better purchase.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom and I agree, the pics of the Tamiya kit does not "appear" to have must better detailing than the HL.

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

US RRP was about $600. For a static kit!

Aussie price for Trumpeter was $299.

Craziness. I wouldn't by one regardless, but $600 is way too much, especially when the Jagdtiger can now easily be had for a fair amount less than $300.

Having built the 1/35th kit, I would endorse getting the larger version. It was not just fiddly, but the suspension proved balky. Great LOOKING kit, though.

I've already seen a few built examples of the 1:16 kit that look truly outstanding.

I've already seen a few built examples of the 1:16 kit that look truly outstanding.

My only beef with the larger version is you can't get the cast turret yet. I assume if it sells well, they will put out that variant.