1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

The cockpit is looking beautiful Joel. Weathered just right, not overly done.

Tony,

thanks so much for the Thumbs up on the pit. While I did feel I might have over done the side walls some, I went in the opposite direction with the seat cushions and belts, so the viewer really doesn't focus that long on the other details besides the IP, and gets a sense of it being somewhat cleaner.

Joel

I really like the work you have done but, those Eduard coloured photo-etched.......They should definitely improve them!

Agreed 101%. But unfortunately, there just isn't anything else out there.  One nice thing is that once the fuselage is buttoned up. the cockpit is rather small and not a main feature of the display model.

and thanks for stopping by and likely what I've accomplished to date. It always means quite a lot to me.

Joel

One thing that I just noticed looking at the macro pictures of the cockpit, is that I didn't do a very good job of painting the sides of the harnesses, so it's going straight to the top of my next work session for correction.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Super work on the front office. Your IP close up is exactly the reason I try to stay away from Eduard pre-painted IP's. I prefer theyr brass IP layered sets, that need to be painted but the extra work is worth the effort.

Nice use of the dark washes to pick out the details.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Super work on the front office. Your IP close up is exactly the reason I try to stay away from Eduard pre-painted IP's. I prefer theyr brass IP layered sets, that need to be painted but the extra work is worth the effort.

Nice use of the dark washes to pick out the details.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like my efforts to date. but as I posted, I missed the sides of one of the harnesses, so a little touch up is needed.

Joel

I think this all fits in rather nicely in the balance of everything. Solid effort. March on. 

Jim.

Thanks so much for your thumbs up. It's much appreciated.

Joel

Thor,

So glad to have you along on the Scooter build.

I looked at the Eduard PE VG, and they come as part of the exterior set. Way more money then I want to spend for just those parts. From what I've seen is that each one needs to be folded over then glued to the wing surface. Eric, who used this method showed the jig that comes with them. What I don't like about them visually, is that you see those individual pads which are much larger then way was originally molded. I haven't been able to find any close up pictures of the VGs with the National Insignia painted over them.  Anthony went a different route and thinned the VGs, then used a round mask for the NZ National Insignia, cut slits for the VGs and painted it that way. It came out perfect.

What I've decided to do was follow in Anthony's footsteps by thinning each VG by hand (that should take several days of tedious work). After looking at a few pictures, the US National Insignia bottom of the bars lays right along the tip of the VGs, so I'll cut the insignia following that line. That now takes care of the top demarcation line. Measuring the width of the VGs, I'll cut that dimension off the bottom half of the insignia. Now I'll lay the top half on to mark out the where the insignia starts and ends. I'll carefully mask and air brush the white and blue, ( matching the blue will be tricky as I usually mix my own colors with Tamiya paints, but just may go with Model Master enamel as they make the color. Just hoping that it matches the decal color). I'm also planning on leaving 1mm of fudge space around the VGs so if the decal moves ever so slightly, there is no unpainted space that needs touch up. Well, that's the plan. In theory it will work. In actual practice is a whole different ballgame.

As for that ground based catapult base, it sounds great. Any chance you can build me one. I'll be happy to cover all costs plus :whistle:

Joel

Joel, You might shoot a PM to LSP_Paul and ask him how he did his decals.

His build: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50273&hl=

Go to page 8 to see the VGs.

Excellent front office Joel!  Nice and crisp.

I have a tip for those black stripes on the yellow handles.  I cut black decal film into thin strips then just lay them on.  No pen or paintbrush can match the sharp edges of a decal.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my Scooter build. Your comments  and suggestions mean a lot to me.  As for those black stripes, since I've already sealed the seat in Dullcoat, I'd have to mask and repaint then try those small decal strips. If I don't go that route on this build, next jet will definitely see your technique  being used.

Joel

Joel, that office looks just fantastic and the Instrument panel looks very realistic.

Chris 

Chris,

Your thumbs up is much appreciated. thanks so much for stopping by.  In real life the IP color isn't nearly as odd looking as it is in those macro pics, but like everyone else, I can't understand why Eduard just doesn't change to a Nato Black color. Makes little sense to me.

Joel

Nice job as usual Joel!! keep it coming

Kiki,

Thank you my friend for stopping by and appreciating my efforts in the cockpit. It's much appreciated.

Joel