1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Joel, i just noticed your topic mate. I tuned in, as i have the same kit in my stash i will follow your progress closely.

All ready you gave lot's of interesting info about this particular jet, so i'm very curious about the rest of your build.

Greetz

Danny

Danny,

Glad that you found my build thread and will staying for the full journey.  If anything technique or idea is of use to you, then I've already exceeded on of my goals for doing these blogs.

Joel

Nice work, Joel. Congrats on busting out of the gate!

Jim,

Thanks for the :goodjob: .  As Harv said it was more then 3 pages without a single pic or info on the actual build. I guess it was past time to post something. Getting out of the gate does feel real good.

Joel

Joel i do believe that the "padding" on the canopy could be the nuclear curtain the A-4 had and VMA-211 was nuclear capable. That is not a refueling hose, it is the power cable that is draped over the MER, it isn't plugged in so it is just put aside for the time being. Also have you decided on a weapon load yet?

Jari

Joel i do believe that the "padding" on the canopy could be the nuclear curtain the A-4 had and VMA-211 was nuclear capable. That is not a refueling hose, it is the power cable that is draped over the MER, it isn't plugged in so it is just put aside for the time being. Also have you decided on a weapon load yet?

Jari

Jari,

Thanks for info. Being primarily a WW11 builder, all those new fangled armament technologies  aren't that familiar to me as yet.

Honesty, I haven't given it much thought as to the weapons load. I've got so far to go just to get to get the basic assemblies done and painted, and weathered. I'll go through the weapons manual, then see what came in the kit, and then put a loads out together.

Joel

Since Harv is waiting for pics :) here are some more, some A-4 cockpit pics show a strap on the canopy, the pic you posted of a/c#10 shows the strap hanging over the edge. It was used to help pull down the canopy, here a couple examples:

Bonus info: The strap may have been used as a pull down strap but was designed as a canopy restraint for ground runs. It held the canopy from just barely opening all the way to full open to protect from unnecessary wear/damage. It's yellow, approx 34" long and 1" wide with a 5" loop at the top that attaches to the canopy latch (so the loop section at the top has to be removed from the latch in order to close canopy). It's secured at the bottom within its own stowage pouch in the right cockpit wall, which is why it's seen hanging down out from the cockpit on the CF-10 pic linked to earlier, and why it doesn't always show up in pictures attached to the canopy latch.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Joel i do believe that the "padding" on the canopy could be the nuclear curtain the A-4 had and VMA-211 was nuclear capable.

I think it's standard canopy insulation/padding? The A-4's nuke curtain as I recall was more like a hood/clamshell. Here's one of the Blue Angels with similar canopy interior:

BA-close-up_of_open_canopy,from_port,GJT

Edited by ziggyfoos

I think it's standard canopy insulation/padding? The A-4's nuke curtain as I recall was more like a hood/clamshell. Here's one of the Blue Angels with similar canopy interior:

BA-close-up_of_open_canopy,from_port,GJT

Ziggyfoos,

Thanks for the additional info on the canopy strap. The canopy padding looks to be exactly that, padding from the fact that you can see all the securing snaps. Way too many and too clumsy to be used as a inflight nuke curtain.

Joel

The inner cockpit padding is typical. Obviously the Scooter cockpit is very small compared to other jets of the day & the padding helped protect the pilot from too injury when aggressive maneuvering. Remember the old saying; "You don't strap into a Skyhawk, you strap on the Skyhawk." The nuclear hood was a telescoping capsule that was pulled down over the pilot. Scooters were not meant to return home after a nuclear strike but if the pilot could somehow survive the blast there was always hope. Further, is the IFR refueling pic a few pages back a reverse image? The A-4s probe was on the starboard side, not the port. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

The inner cockpit padding is typical. Obviously the Scooter cockpit is very small compared to other jets of the day & the padding helped protect the pilot from too injury when aggressive maneuvering. Remember the old saying; "You don't strap into a Skyhawk, you strap on the Skyhawk." The nuclear hood was a telescoping capsule that was pulled down over the pilot. Scooters were not meant to return home after a nuclear strike but if the pilot could somehow survive the blast there was always hope. Further, is the IFR refueling pic a few pages back a reverse image? The A-4s probe was on the starboard side, not the port. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

I just went back and looked at that picture again, and it does indeed look like the IFR is on Port side. If that's the case, then the picture is reversed, so the ALE-29 chaff dispenser would be on the Starboard side as well, not the Port side as Jari suggested. It's much better to correct assumptions now, then later after the glue  has set.

Joel

Guys,

my build thread has slowly morphed into a discussion about A-4Es. While I appreciate the info and pictures, they  have nothing to do with my build at this point. Please lets keep the posts focused on the build, as it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for understanding,

Joel

Finally finished the pit. and other then gluing in the side panels everything else is just dry fitted. I was pretty impressed at how well and how securely the pit fits into one fuselage half. A little "massaging" will be necessary to get both fuselages halves to fit correctly without any added pressure. Now don't get me wrong, the fit is pretty good as is, but it's just not quite up to my standards. 

Here's a close up of the Eduard IP. Unfortunately, in a macro image greater then  1 to 1, every little nuance shows. Eduard's continued insistence on using a Bluish black for the the instruments is clearly visible, but something my tired old eyes even with a #5 Optivisor can't see well enough to correct. And all those lumps & bumps just jump right out at you. But in the over all display mode, it still  looks pretty good.

zfgIGh.jpg

The side panels with a black primer coat for color modulation and a Tamiya Pin wash, have the depth that I was looking for.

U5G6d1.jpg

As does the heavily stippled seat bulkhead

sIFYD4.jpg

And here's a few overall pictures of the Pit

a3zDr6.jpg

k1r1ih.jpg

Up next is joining the front and back fuselage halves, as well as adding some AM intake scoops.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W