BSG Viper MkII WIP.

danimalmagic

Hi all, a nice little project for me and a very busy week with a lot done, I needed to sort a few problems on the way, lighting a model always changes how you build it. 
I started with the cockpit tub, virtually all the raised surface detail needs to be removed from the tub and instrument panel. Once this was done the etch parts could be positioned and the holes marked through. 
100_5793.jpg
100_5800.jpg
The finished tub needed some filler in the recessed areas. 
100_5802.jpg
The next thing to do was to cut the front bulk head away from the tub and add an opaque piece of plastic to diffuse the light evenly. The cockpit was also given a coat of matt black to stop light bleeding through the tub. 
100_5808.jpg
I also need to stop light coming through the large holes in the foot well so these have been covered with card stock. 
100_5814.jpg
With that done I could start the basic painting, a long way to go. happy.gif
100_5815.jpg
Completed cockpit. 
100_5820.jpg
100_5821.jpg
I wanted the tub to look used so a final dry brushing with some light shades from my Tamiya weathering sets. 
100_5824.jpg

Con't

It was at this point I also removed the middle section of the engines. 
100_5798.jpg
Etch Fitted, there is a film section still to add to diffuse the light. 
100_5801.jpg
Opaque Engine film in place and paint on. 
100_5811.jpg
Earlier in the week I had painted the tub black for light sealing, I had also done the same for the fuselage. If you do not light seal the whole model will glow from the inside once its dark and that is not good. happy.gif
100_5804.jpg
Another thing that needs to be done is to increase the effect of the light and this is done by applying aluminium foil to the interior, this also has a secondary effect of improving light sealing. 
100_5832.jpg
With that done the cockpit could be temporarily fitted so that the lights could be positioned and the lighting tested, I was not happy with one green LED so I have fitted a second. (NB foil also fitted to the upper of the fuselage) 
100_5839.jpg
Light check, I will need to seal the gap where the tub meets the tub walls but other that it looking good. 
100_5880.jpg
3 engine lights were soldered in and checked. 
100_5881.jpg

With that done I could look to complete the engine section, here is where the fun begins. The engine section is made up of a number of parts and these fit ok but not sufficient if you are lighting, you can light seal from the inside but it still will not be good enough due to the nature and fit of the parts. 
I decided to do away with the issue and enclose the lights completely, this just required a little machining. 
First I machined some pipe to a suitable length, I only needed to make up two as the top middle engine is already enclosed. 
100_5885.jpg
Fits snugly on the kit part. 
100_5889.jpg
From there I machined the end cap that will house the led. 
100_5899.jpg
Another one to make. 
100_5901.jpg
Test. 
100_5902.jpg
It was after testing I realised the two lower led enclosures where too long and gave an uneven light so they have been shortened and set in place. 
100_5908.jpg
That's better. 
100_5906.jpg
The last thing to do was to fit the vertical tail and carefully fit the engines, the lower two fit firmly on to the kit parts giving a very solid fit. 
100_5919.jpg
100_5922.jpg
As always there are still seams to fill and they are around the joins of the lower wings. 
100_5911.jpg
This is where I am to date, the plan for week two is to fill and sand the remaining joins and seams then I can look too paint, I have still also to machine the cavity for the battery in the base but i will come to all that next week. 

Thanks for Looking

Danny 

Very nice Viper Danny.

It's nice to see some BSG build on here.

What markings are you planning to use? If this is the original Moebius release, the decals are quite fragile and translucent. The Revell re-box head much better decals.

Carl

Yeah, I know all about the decals,polar light decals are made by the same company and needless to say exactly the same.

There is an article on starship modeler and like him I found it best to use micro set only only, no microsol.

Danny

Great to see this one in the "Plane" section. It is a plane even if it flies in space. Maybe I'd open the plane category up more and include anything that passes through the atmosphere, even if it used a parachute. (Gemini and Mercury for example). Sorry if my filter is too wide open, but it is great to see this here.

Thanks for the window on some interesting details and processes.

Tnarg