BSG Viper MkII WIP.

danimalmagic

BSG Viper MkII Week 2. November 12 2016 at 10:45 AM 1363382155.JPG

Danny Attree  (Login danimalmagic)

HyperScale Forums

from IP address 94.196.160.208  

Hello all, needless to say another very busy week but I was really enjoying the model coming together so the hours flew by. 

I left off last week with the Viper all assembled but just needing some fine filling, I use a liquid primer here (Mr Surfacer 1000) as it fills any voids and sands down to a smooth finish. 

100_5926.jpg

A quick sand and wipe over with some cleaner and the Viper is ready for paint. 

100_5928.jpg

I am going to post shade the paintwork so the first coat is a light sand colour. 

100_5958.jpg

While that was drying I moved on to the base, in order to keep things neat I want the 9V battery hidden in the base but remaining accessible for when the battery needs changing. First thing to do is to drill the mounting hole, due to the mounting point on the Viper you can either drill the hole off centre or on centre and use a cranked mounting pole to keep the model roughly over the middle of the base. I thought it would look better on centre. 

100_5933.jpg

Next I need a pilot hole in through the side for the switch cable, so a centre is drilled first on my Milling M/C. 

100_5935.jpg

With that done the pilot was put in until it connected up with the hole drilled in the top for the mounting pole. 

100_5937.jpg

Next I need to open out the hole to incorporate the switch, not all the way through but about 1â€/25mm depth x 10mm dia to incorporate the switch body and any excess cable. 

100_5941.jpg

With that done I marked out the battery compartment cover and scored with a knife so the felt comes away without ripping the rest up. 

100_5945.jpg

Next thing to do was get it all parallel in the machine vice and then machine the battery cover outer step using a 4mm slot drill, you could use a Router but I don't own one so it's the Milling M/C for me. 

100_5946.jpg

From there using a 6mm slot drill I machined the recess for the battery, 

100_5951.jpg

I needed to put a little notch in the top left side to incorporate the batter connector and cable. 

100_5952.jpg

Battery cover fitted, this will be fixed in with two small screws later on. 

100_5955.jpg

Lastly to finish the base I just needed to test the fit of the switch. 

100_5959.jpg

Con't

With the base done I moved back on the painting, I used thinned Tamiya gloss white and filled in the individual panels up to each panel line but leaving a border to give the panel line a bit of depth. For me I find post shading a lot more effective, and if you are not happy you can increase or decrease the shade of the panel line without putting on too much paint. 

100_5961.jpg

100_5962.jpg

Internal details masked and sprayed Gloss Aluminium. 

100_5966.jpg

100_5970.jpg

While that was drying I got on with the canopy, once masked it was painted grey for the interior shade the silver over the top for the external shade. 

100_5973.jpg

The next bit was the decals, a lot of time, care and setting solution required. 

100_5975.jpg

100_5976.jpg

100_5990.jpg

Last step before finishing it all off is the pilot, looks much better in reality. 

100_5986.jpg

I am now in the process of adding the finishing touches of weathering and washes then I can sort out the electrical connections and mount to the base. 

If all goes well I will be done in a few hours, if I get time I will post the completed model today. happy.gif

Thanks for looking.

Danny