SPAD decissions

Fred Jack

I have decal options for 21 French SPAD Xllls, 2 Itallian, and 5 American. I do realize that some of those decals can go on SPAD Vlls and Nieuports. I do now have 7 SPAD Xllls. I have decided since ordering the Ancaldo from Aviattic, that I do want to have one SPAD Xlll, one SPAD Vll, and one Nieuport 17. I also decided on 3 French SPAD Xlll and 3 AEF SPAD Xllls. I am Frederick Miles and I am a WW1 Airplaneaholic. There is only one commercial source for Hobbycraft SPADs. Should I get more? The SPAD Xlll is undoubtedly my favorite WW1 plane, would it be reasonable to get more? I do have over 50 WW1 planes from Battle Axe, Roden, Hobbycraft, Academy, (the Academy Camel is being converted into a monoplane) and WNWs. I do have six Albatroses and six SPAD Vlls.

I understand completely the addiction, but realize that my stash most often sits on the shelf to be opened up and drooled upon, sometimes even started, but then set down with the arrival of the next shiny object. We live with an abundance of riches, even in an obscure obsession such as WWI 1/32 scale aircraft.

Do you desperately want to have those aircraft with those markings? Do you want them more than any other? Or do you want to start printing your own decals and cutting masks and find that you need even more SPADs... Way too much fun.

What else would you spend that cash upon? Would it give you as much joy? Have fun,

Tnarg

My SPAD obsession started with the 1/28 Revell. I had all three, they sat in my room. I did love my Voss Dr1, my first larger than 1/32 LSP, and Barker's Camel, but I was really captivated by the SPADS. My mom tossed all my models when I was in the Army. My interest was reap armed by Americal/ Gryphin, most of my French SPAD Decals released even before the Hobbycraft SPAD Xlll. My four AEF Decals were only recently released by Kiwi and just December by Aviattic, Frank Luke and markings for his wingman, who carried the number 21 like Luke's first SPAD and enough numbers to make Luke's wingman' serial number. The Italian is in the International kit. Montez also makes a SPAD Vll mask, that by eliminating the circle around the heart, makes up another SPAD Xlll.

Edited by Fred Jack

Rob, both the Aviattic and Kiwi Xllls, well Kiwi has one SPAD Xlll of the 103rd AERO SQDN. Aviattic has three of Luke's Xlll, but only has two sets of Upper and lower cockades. But can be used for two SPADs. There is only one pair of 27th AERO SQDN Eagles, but you can either photocopy them onto clear decal paper than spray over it with clear furniture polish when dry or purchase Lt Elliot's Nie 28 from Super Scale International, which carries a pair of identical Eagles, so you can make Werner's SPAD Xlll no 21 using some of the extra serial nos. on the Aviattic sheet to make serial No. S7555 as explained in the instruction booklet. I also got a sheet of Superscale 1/16" White checkers to make wing bands for Werner's SPAD. You also need to order the engine louvers that come with wing tips from Tom's Model Works and a pair of Colt Vickers and 11mm balloon guns, one of each for Werner's #21 and Luke's #26 from Gaspatch. I also got a pair of beautiful Ebora laminated wooden propellers with hubs from LF Models. You could ask if anyone has the FCM or Spada on LSP.

Edited by Fred Jack

I love 1/32 WWI....some 20 odd years ago...long before WNW, I used to enjoy scratchbuilding unavailable types....I did the FE2b ( An IPMS Nationals winner) the Junkers D1 ( also a winner ), Phonix D1 and several others....the Junkers I then produced as a resin kit....The Spad A2 is on my list, but I'm afraid of going down that road of producing a kit only to have WNW do an IM of it....or any others I would produce.....

Joe