Tamiya 1/32 Phantom F4J

rainstel109

I've just started to have a go at one of these as I've always had a hankering to build one, and I like the phantom anyways.

I've got some of the work done already, cockpit basically which is a combination of kit parts for the sidewall panels and Eduard P/E for the front and rear instrument panels. I've encountered no problems so far with fit and general quality (unlike the trumpy harrier I've just finished), except for the issue with the intake trunks which are 'orrible so I'm gonna use a pair of true details intake covers which means a cheaper option and loadsa less work to do.

For the rear pit instrument wiring I used lead wire, really easy to work with and the effect is quite nice looing (even if it doe look like a load of entrails!)

TxPynL.jpg

NIdtnu.jpg

4jeDyG.jpg

LblEOo.jpg

kIyGgl.jpg

LrXsEA.jpg

Edited by rainstel109

I'll watch with interest..how many times I've been in my hobby shop and had to walk past these big beauties, made even more difficult when the price keeps coming down (sigh).

But I've got their 1/32 F-16CJ to fry, no new ones till she's done! I posted meagre progress on lsp as 'yep another Tamiya F-16'..give me a nudge along please!

I've doing all the rubbing down and rescribing of the fuselage BDR, and I've come across the first real issue with this kit. Virtually the entire spine area of the fuselage has a molding problem. Instead of where the panel lines should be,, this total area was slightly raised so it needed sanding back down, rescribing and the all the rivets redone. It looked like the molds weren't fully clamped together and the plastic deformed or the molds themselves might be getting a bit worn/ deformed. Either way, there was more work than I initially thought. Also, the small panel that has to be fitted behind the pit is way undersize and I had to fill the gap with plasticard, so maybe this kit is starting to show it's age. Bottom line though, its no biggie and easily corrected but not expected. I've also had to redo most of the rivets anyway as they all looked a bit shallow and clearly define

OjRekP.jpg
EdxY20.jpg

I ran into an issue yesterday which was the fact that the horizontal stabilizers are in one piece and need to be installed as one unit. This makes masking for spraying awkward and is liable to damage (my clumsiness really). So I opted to remove both stabilizers from their mounting bracket which was then fitted into the fuselage tail section and screwed in position. The two upper plates were then fiited next (these are the oblong shaped items sitting above the semi-circular piece). This means that the stabilizers can be position how anyone would want to, this is a kit feature, moveable stabilizers, quite which I don't see the point of as its not a toy and once set they'd be glued in position. I've still got to drill and mount a pair of locating pins for the stabilizers to enable me to fit them back onto the original mounting assemble.
I've also cleaned up, polished and washed the kit and I'm now just letting it dry prior to "possible" spraying of certain bits.

2Zgf8R.jpg

Really cracking on now, I've fitted the locator pins to both stabilizers, built up the wing internals (no probs at all there), rescribed the fuselage and redid the rivets where needed and fitted both upper and lower wing surfaces, You can just about see the two screws just frowards of the wheel wells that hold the upper wing to the lower wing. Once the glue has hardened, I'll start the rubbing down and rescribing again where required (Oh joy!)

b5g5ag.jpg
M3Am5W.jpg

What markings will you be doing? If not the jolly rogers I would be happy to buy that part of the decal sheet from you.

Well, the "Yellow hammer" decals for the Jolly rogers turned up a coupla days ago so if I don't make a pigs ear of these decals, I'll have the kit decals going spare and you're quite welcome to them when the model is finished. Do you just want the main markings but not the insignia, stenciling, etc? When I've finished I'll take a pic of whats left, there should be the complete "main" markings availble.

Well, the "Yellow hammer" decals for the Jolly rogers turned up a coupla days ago so if I don't make a pigs ear of these decals, I'll have the kit decals going spare and you're quite welcome to them when the model is finished. Do you just want the main markings but not the insignia, stenciling, etc? When I've finished I'll take a pic of whats left, there should be the complete "main" markings availble.

Thank you so much for your response and offer. Well I would be happy to take whatever is left including stenciling if any. Thanks a million. I will be watching your build with interest as Phantom is next on my list so its always good to see inspirational builds. cheers!

Ok next update. I've spent most of the last few days fitting the wing outer panels which need shimming with plasticard to get the correct upward angle of 12.5 degrees (which they rouhgly now to within a degree I reckon). Not an easy job and fairly time consuming. I fitted the tail, no probs there at all, just the mating surfaces need a bit of filler so no biggie. I also completed the nose cone and intakes this morning, rubbed down and re-scribed. I'll then fit the windshield, i/p shroud, and inspect to make sure these parts are ok. All I need to do then is clean, dry, inspect the model tomorrow and correct any errors I find (theres probably loads I've missed). Once thats done I'll mask and spray to prepare the surface for the white coat.

JOM527.jpg
zsrHwR.jpg
wcxVcA.jpg
oKFF3W.jpg