Trumpeter Ju-87D

Dave Williams

Looks like Trumpeter has released the D boxing of their Stuka kit.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10362223

No surprise, it's based on their G kit, which already had the parts in the box already. It is interesting that they they didn't change a single kit sprue, even including the G kit's cannon pods!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10362223/10/0

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10318692/10/0

You still can't use the dive brakes in the kit because you still don't get the hinge fairings, so you are limited to a D that didn't have them (some refs say the D-5 didn't have them, put there are plenty of pics with D-5s that still had the brakes). Also limited to the long wing versions like the D-5 since the short wingtip parts aren't in the box. Finally, still the wrong bomb crutch with the kit having the B/R crutch (which kit incorrectly has the D style crutch). Still, looks like a nice kit, except for a couple of the typical Trumpeter glitches.

Thanks Dave,

To me the only pluses of the kit are:

- the engine if you want to show a plane in maintenance mode but this asks for a lot of additional work. If you want a closed nose, this has no real added value.

- the warload options with the reservations you already made. If you already have one or multiple early A/B/R from Trumpeter, this is not really an asset.

- some elements here and there in the cockpit that are finer or a little bit more detailed like the dual MG81 than in the Hasegawa kit but the difference is not tremendous and if you add a photoetched set, this is not anymore an asset either.

- the additional armor that was used on some planes. This may be an important point IF the plane you want to reproduce had them. So, not necessarily an asset either.

I do not consider engraved riveting to be an asset on a Stuka kit.

Moreover, considering the minuses you mentioned, I'd rather recommend the Hasegawa kit or even better, its cheaper Revell boxing unless if the engine, external armor or one or another weapon option is a must-have.

Hence, for people who already own the Hasegawa-Revell Dora kit, the added value of the kit is not really obvious... If they had added the night bomber features (silent exhausts) that were only in the Hasegawa limited edition, the kit would have been more attractive.

To me, this is another missed opportunity that has just one market advantage: give another option to the modeller if the Revell kit is not available.

Cheers

Thierry

Sounds like another chance blown by Trumpeter...

I suggest that they should have marketed the kit as a D-5, rather than a D. As stated above, there are many visual differences between the D-1, D-3 and D-5.

However, it does have me thinking. I recently purchased a brass, 3D printed set of 1/72nd railings for the Revell Type VII U-boat. A new bomb cradle would be an ideal opportunity! To create a new cradle out of resin would likely be problematic for the aftermarket being very fragile.

Mark Proulx

Other than the Brian Fawcett set for the Ju 87 B, the aftermarket appears to have been slow in dealing with any corrections for the Trumpeter 1/32nd Ju 87 D/G. It is too bad as the kit isn't that bad as a canvas to improve upon.

Mark Proulx

Couldn't agree with you more Thierry! Perhaps a Trumpeter Ju 87 "Tweak List" in order?

Given my interest in the later Ju 87 versions and how "close" Trumpeter got to a good kit, I can only hope that someone steps up to the plate to address the shortcomings! I pressed Eduard to do some corrected cannons (pods and barrels) for the Ju 87 G and was replied to with a resounding NO!

Mark Proulx

Thierry:

Note that I stated PODS AND BARRELS for the Ju 87 G. The above barrels only. As pointed out here in numerous posts the Trumpeter pods are handed (incorrect). Yes, one could build the Hasegawa Ju 87 G or steal its armament, but I would like to give the Trumpeter kit a go. I guess one can only hope!

I wasn't aware of your "Bertha" tweak list. I will have to go have a look. Unfortunately, I can't get excited about the Trumpeter Ju 87 B at all, even though I do have it. The Fawcett resin correct set a must for this build but the CDN to US dollar exchange so bad at the moment that it is cost prohibitive I'm afraid.

Mark Proulx

Haven't you guys figured it out yet?? Your'e supossed to buy TWO kits to get the right pods.... C'mon guys get with the program!!! ;)

Cheers

Alan

Actually ...

Very clever marketing policy by Trumpeter.

Buy the 'B', 'G' and 'D' ... and you'll actually be able to build all 3!! ...

* Use the centreline bomb and crutch from the 'B' kit ... to build a 'D'

* Use the centreline bomb and crutch from the 'G' or 'D' kit ... to build a 'B'

* Use the additional gun pods from the 'D' kit to complete your 'G'

Rog :)

Mark,

There are already options for the guns. Out of my memory, they were made by Schatton or Voyager.

BTW, I already made a tweak list for the Trumpeter Bertha!

Cheers

T.

Thierry, is that tweak list online? A quick search didn't find anything. I just got the Bertha (thank you Clunkmeister!) and am looking forward to digging in. Thanks,

Mike