Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb Trop

dennismcc

Kooks great Dennis!

iain

Thank you Iain, it needed another coat but I am pleased with it.

Beautiful colour. The paint has sheen to it, is this the norm with Xtracolor?

I do wish I had more options when it comes to paints locally, but sourcing Tamiya acrylics alone is getting more difficult.

Thank you, Xtracolor dries gloss so there is no need to add a gloss varnish before applying decals, but it is enamel which does put some people off, also Sovereign Colourcoats dry to a satin decal ready finish  as well.

Cheers

Dennis.

Coming along very well Den, it's going to be one strikingly handsome Spit in the desert scheme. Most that I've seen are pretty heavily weathered with all that sand flying around, any thoughts about yours?

Max

Thanks Max, yes the desert was a harsh environment and most photos do show the aircraft as quite beat up but I am not very good at weathering my subjects so I leave that to the experts and just give mine some mild weathering.

Again, late to the party, but looking really good, Den! I like your choice of subjects, too.

Thank you very much for that, my theme for this year is Spitfires and I wanted to build 3 as I usually build in 3's, but just to be different build them as American subjects, however I am struggling to find an identity for an Eagle Squadron Mk II.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis..

Just caught up with your entire build..AWESOME work.

NEAT work.... :bow:

And I am sorry to hear of your ghastly accident.. hope your hand is getting better and all shards of glasd removed..

Take care..and Sorry too that I missed you at Cosford...

Bye for now. Keep up the excellent work.she is coming along splendidly.

:clap2:

Thank you very much for that, the hand is fine now, and it was a shame that we missed each other at Cosford, maybe we can meet up at another show

Cheers

Dennis

That looks super smooth Dennis.......never tried that brand of paint before but I'm tempted to try it........what's the drying time like out of interest.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy, one of the biggest complaints that most people have about Xtracolor is the drying time, however, I don't have any problem with it, I just thin it 50:50 (after really mixing it well) with Xtracolor's own thinner and it dries fairly quickly, however I usually leave it at least 3 days before I mask on top of it as the paint may be dry but it is not fully cured, if that is the right term.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you very much for that, my theme for this year is Spitfires and I wanted to build 3 as I usually build in 3's, but just to be different build them as American subjects, however I am struggling to find an identity for an Eagle Squadron Mk II.

Cheers

Dennis

I did a quick look, and you are right, Spit II's in Eagle Squadron markings photos are near impossible to find! They did fly them, though, 71 Sqd did fly them for a couple months.

I did a quick look, and you are right, Spit II's in Eagle Squadron markings photos are near impossible to find! They did fly them, though, 71 Sqd did fly them for a couple months.

I did find some photos of P/O Bill Dunn's Spitfire IIa of 71 Squadron and I also found the Eagle Cals decals for the same aircraft, so they are on the way to me now, but it is strange that there are so few photos about considering that it was such a propaganda coup at the time.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

She's looking bright and shiney Dennis. The desert cammo will set the blue off to perfection.

however I am struggling to find an identity for an Eagle Squadron Mk II.

Cheers

Dennis

I believe P7308/ XR-D at Duxford is an Eagle Squadron mkII. :hmmm: http://duxfordfotogallery.co.uk/ar213/4551951888

Edit* Apologies. From your comments above it looks as though you've probably already seen this gallery. I should have read your post more thoroughly, sorry

As an aside and coincidentally I believe this to be the actual airframe that Revell may have used as a basis for their kit.

If you study the lumps and bumps around the actual airframe they are virtually identical. (I recently built this airframe as AR213/JZ-E before it was re-painted.)

Edited by geedubelyer

She's looking bright and shiney Dennis. The desert cammo will set the blue off to perfection.

I believe P7308/ XR-D at Duxford is an Eagle Squadron mkII. :hmmm: http://duxfordfotogallery.co.uk/ar213/4551951888

Edit* Apologies. From your comments above it looks as though you've probably already seen this gallery. I should have read your post more thoroughly, sorry

As an aside and coincidentally I believe this to be the actual airframe that Revell may have used as a basis for their kit.

If you study the lumps and bumps around the actual airframe they are virtually identical. (I recently built this airframe as AR213/JZ-E before it was re-painted.)

Unfortunately I have been distracted at the moment by the Vb, I was trying to find the size of the underwing roundels to aibrush the painted out roundels, this lead me to have a good look at my references to put together a timeline for changes to the camouflage and markings of Spitfires, this I have nearly finished so I can get back to the topside desert colours on the Vb Trop.

I was over the moon to find the references for the Mk II, in fact the decals have arrived from the big H and are in the Revell box as we speak.

Cheers

Dennis

After fading the undersides with a lightened dusting of the base colour I left the model for 3 days to let the paint fully cure, then started to mask off the undersides ready for the topside colours, I decided to use my new Tamiya tape for curves, this certainly speeded up the process and was a lot easier to use.

But just before I airbrushed the Middle Stone I noticed that a piece of the tape had come away from the model on the curved section at the rear of the wing to fuselage joint so I replaced it with some bog standard Tamiya tape which was a lot more difficult to use than using the new tape, this is something to keep in mind when using the new tape in the future.

The masking was completed and the Middle Stone airbrushed, it was then then faded with a lightened dusting of Middle Stone.

Here's the initial masking.

xQY9wc.jpg

And here she is,

mP7XKv.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replacing Photobucket photos