1:32 F-86 Sabre

Monty Python

Wanting to build, in the near future, a RAF F-86-F4 Sabre with slatted wings. Plan is to mount it on a piece of the actual wing of XD707. This is one of the 2 aircraft that crashed in the Dark Peaks in July 1954. The other a/c was XD730, both of 66 squadron. Unfortunately both pilots were killed. To this day, nobody knows if the aircraft collided in mid air or hit the top of Kinder Scout (highest part of the Dark Peaks) whilst flying in low cloud and below the permitted height. 

I've tried to get my hands on a slat wing version but came up with nothing. Anybody help out with any ideas.

Cheers

I did not ever know that there was any RAF Sabres.

If you're looking for a F-86F kit with slatted wings, just try to get this one :

kin3203.jpg

It's still available, i bought one at hannants a few months ago (to build a South African Sabre in Korea :) ).

I dont know if the rest of the kit would match a RAF version, though.

Edited by Zero77

The way to tell about the chord extension is to look at the ammo bay door on the LH side right at the wing l/e.  If the l/e overlaps the ammo bay door, it's a '6-3' wing.  If not, it's the original wing chord.  I'm 99.9% sure Kinetic's is the '6-3' wing, because otherwise it would be inaccurate for the F-40 wing.

I dont know which wing would match the F-30, but i'm pretty sure they did not change anything on their fuselage between the F-30 and the next F-40 kit. But if the F-30 already have the 6-3 wing, so it is probably a 6-3 wing.

The way to tell about the chord extension is to look at the ammo bay door on the LH side right at the wing l/e.  If the l/e overlaps the ammo bay door, it's a '6-3' wing.

Jennings i think you mean that :

John%20Simpson%20Harmonization%20Range%2

Watching this! I have a Korean AF version of this kit, so will check if it is the same. I would love to do an RAF one one day.....

Check which time scale you are planning on doing as 66sq had both slatted and unslatted wings at the same time in 1954. So this may apply to all RAF squadrons

Jennings i think you mean that :

John%20Simpson%20Harmonization%20Range%2

There's a scene in "The Hunters" film that depicts the crew chief removing the small LE triangle on one of the a/c Robert Mitchum is preparing to board .

Cheers,

D.B.

Edited by D.B. Andrus