1/32 Trumpeter A6-A Drumstick!

karimb

also another inaccuracy i forgot to correct was i left the fairings for the pods on the tips which i am pretty sure my specific aircraft doesnt have.

If you're still planning to do DT-1 then you're good, it did have the wingtip pods.

Is this a vietnam war era bird? dont know if they had fire retardant paint on their bombs back then?

The thermal coated bombs weren't used by the Marines at that period (not even in 72 by VMA-AW-533). Even later in the war on carriers some had it, some didn't.

Harold from Aims (he is on this site) does the correct early truder seats and they are awesome as are his snakes, I ordered his seats for my build and he threw in a set of wheels!

That's AMS of course not Aims (Aims is excellent too, but focus mostly on Ju88s). I too recommend Harold's seats and snakeyes, and really any of his resin is top notch.

Guys just a very quick post. Spent 3 days here at home going back tomorrow to doha for a stretch. I managed to do alot those three days between taking care of Zoe and going to check on my mon every afternoon at hospital as shes got a bad bronchitis. I worked every single night on the drumstick. Shes been painted and just received her first coat of gloss. The gear was painted glossed weathered and im calling those almost done. Still need to add teo decals and some extra wiring. All subassemblies have been painted and a certain extent of weathering done then gloss coated. The kit is literally hanging from a rig i did with metal thread so it dries a bit before i take some pictures and pack it up until i come back in November. Ill give all yall a proper update from, again, Nairobi, after tomorrow

Stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Capt Alan thanks for the reply ill give a proper thanks tomorrow to everyone just wanted to give you guys a headsup. Got home just now, in a couple of hours Nairobi. I just uploaded 116 photos which i will edit and reduce in numbers tomorrow to be able to do a proper post. Thanks everyone for looking in!

Karim

Thanks for the Tip on the Fine Salt, I normally use the Salt packs from Mc Donalds, they  work fine. Is this a vietnam war era bird? dont know if they had fire retardant paint on their bombs back then?

Shan hi

Thanks for leaving a word...yes vietnam era aircraft. I used the salt to do the paint chipping. Since this is a land based marines one the bombs were not coated with the fire retardant paste... you use salt to give the fire retarding texture? thats interesting, i always went down the thinned putty stippled with a brush way...might be worth trying out!!

Karim

Ya you're right the kit seats (and ribbing) are closer to the GRU-7 than to the -5 and the TrueDetails/Avionix seats (while they look great) are an oddball seat not really either a 5 or 7 either. If you haven't seen this seat thread, it may help with some seat questions:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=58659

(there are a couple other older threads too about the seat if want to dig for more, think there was talk of them on the cockpit review thread)

Ziggyfoos, thanks for the link my friend....seems i am a bit of trouble with the seats i think i might end up doing the avionix ones since they are closer to the gru5s than the actual seat i am using that are oob... i have been unable to get Harold's seats i dont have his details here although i know and am sure ive had a word with him sometime on the forums. i am also pretty sure he would find it unusual to courier me stuff to Lebanon but who knows. Harold if you read this let me know if it is possible!

I also took note of your pointers and will attend to them next time i am home and have the proper 12 day session i am planning for in November! Still waiting on the slicks to be sourced out

Ill be using your decals very soon and i am really looking forward to it!

thanks for leaving a word

Karim

Hi Karim.

Harold from Aims (he is on this site) does the correct early truder seats and they are awesome as are his snakes, I ordered his seats for my build and he threw in a set of wheels!

Cheers

Brent

Thanks Brent.... i cant seem to be able to get in touch with him though!

Still have alot of margin to amend things and get mods done to the kit...id love that

Karim

If you're still planning to do DT-1 then you're good, it did have the wingtip pods.

The thermal coated bombs weren't used by the Marines at that period (not even in 72 by VMA-AW-533). Even later in the war on carriers some had it, some didn't.

That's AMS of course not Aims (Aims is excellent too, but focus mostly on Ju88s). I too recommend Harold's seats and snakeyes, and really any of his resin is top notch.

Ziggy thanks for the detail too... glad i left the wingtip pods on then...

Bombs were not coated

Aims is excellent too, its the software we use for flight crew rostering at work! go figure!

Looking good so far, Karim! The only thing I don't like are those ugly, flat PE ejection handles. I'd replace them with some wire, but that's just my 2 cents! ;)

2 cents noted....i have the same opinion...now waiting on finding a solution to the whole seat issue to see in what direction to proceed. If i am unable to get in touch with Harold i might as well go ahead and work on the avionix seats i have then detail those. if i dont end up using those either i will remove the PE and work with brass rod to get the new handles done, this time in the correct V-ish shape rather than the later rounded ones...two birds with one stone

thanks for leaving a word

Karim

Guest Peterpools

Karim

Just catching up as work and family has limited my free time these past few months. Thoroughly enjoying your magic with the Big A6 - awesome work my friend. I hope your Mom is over the worst and the  bronchitis is under control Glad you were able to spend some time with Zoe and even squeeze in some modeling as well. 

Looking forward to your next update

Peter

Good to hear bro! Wishing your family all the best of good health and to you safe flights always! Hope your Mother recovers her health!

Cheers

Thanks my friend for the well wishes...

Seems things have taken a turn for the better. Mom should be home tomorrow !

thanks again Alan...

Karim