1/24 EA-6B Prowler

easixpedro

Keep it up and you will make it.

I have been through this kind of difficulties on both my Tempest and Kate build, you may want to have a look at those build ;)

Loic, I looked in on your past builds.  You and all the others that do all the crazy builds are why I wanted to try this build!  That Kate was downright awesome!

Dude, this is really shaping up nicely!! I'm impressed!

Jake

Thanks Jake.  Of course if you'd stop stalling and get a book out, then I wouldn't spend so much time going through my old photos looking for a detail photo that I know in all reality I never took in the first place!

Does hot water help perhaps?

Cees

It might--problem being, I don't have a pan big enough to fit it.  I can barely fit the sheet of plastic in the oven!  On my third attempt, I used an iron at one of it's lowest settings.  Worked for awhile, but like I said, I rushed it.

On a better note, I went and picked up the styrene.  Also found a great aluminum tube that I turned into the refueling probe last night.  I'll post photos tonight hopefully!

-Peter

Thanks ;)

My target was for you to have a look at the process I used for the centre section of the wings.

There is some pre-shaping and then, lamination: I am sure this would be helpfull.

I'll try to fond the exact corresponding post and send you the link  ;)

Great progress on the cockpit, Peter.

I think carving a wing section from balsa might solve your problem. And perhaps you could build the leading edge as a separate part? You could use a styrene rod and file/sand it into shape, so there would be no need to bend the styrene sheet round the leading edge.

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks! Still mulling over how I want to tackle the wings. In the meantime, I tackled the IFR probe. You can see my first effort that looks close but the coupling is completely wrong, hence the second effort

E725A168-D886-4113-86E1-DCD6B5FA0E28_zps

9DFC325A-D45B-441B-98DA-652943493332_zps

I gave it a good coat of primer which is drying as I type. I'll post photos of it once that's done.

-Peter

OK, here's the finished IFR probe.  I used white out dabbed with a sponge to replicate the seam sealant.  These probes took a beating and are often dented and rather dodgy looking.  My sealant will get knocked down a bit before painting, but looks good IMHO.  I also left the ALQ-126 fairing at the base rather rough looking for the same reasons.  They're fiberglass and took some punishment as well.

IMG_3625_zpshluhuube.jpg

IMG_3624_zpsxcvms1bt.jpg

-Peter

Thanks everyone. Small update--have been working on her,but not what you'd think. Took a break from plastic to get into some wood working!

Realized that before the wings can go on, I need to ensure I can mount her on the base.

I'll let the pics due the talking:

IMG_3636_zpsllmomebn.jpg

I carved a plaque out of basswood. My goal is to replicate squadron plaques that were so prevalent following Vietnam. In most of my builds, I paint the squadron patch on a base. This time, I thought it would look better carved. I chose the classic Prowler patch, as it just screams late 60s-70s!

IMG_3635_zpsoeuclowp.jpg

Sitting on the base

IMG_3634_zpsrp6glvlz.jpg

And with the first coats of paint

IMG_3638_zps9zzlhh3o.jpg

Am traveling again, hope to update some more when I'm home

-Peter