AMS Resin EXOCET Missile for Mirage III/V in progress

Harold

Stunning work Harold.

Thanks,

I did the missile some time ago, but never went anywhere with it.

A modeler interested in the Mirage used by the Pakistani Air Force had the pylon (in two parts) printed and sent to me.

I did a lot of cleaning up and replacing the molded in details.

Edited by Harold

Great job Harold !

The ordnance would be out even before the aircraft !

A few month ago, i've read the whole story of the attack on the Sheffield from the point of view of the argentinian pilots. The mission was highly dangerous and they did not have many Exocet available (13 in total, if i remember correctly). The british fleet was huge, with a very large radar covering, so the Super Etendards have to fly very low and were not able to use their own radars until the end, to not being detected. There was an argentinian rescue aircraft flying in the area, pretending to rescue some wrecked sailors who was giving informations about the location of the british fleet. And when the Super Etendards reached the fleet and finally put on their radars and lauched the missiles, they were still pretty blind as they did not know on what they were aiming, and they were rushing at high speed to the middle of an ennemy fleet .

If i remember well, one of the exocets hit a carrier without too much damage, or was destroyed just before hitting it. The other one hit the Sheffield and made her damaged "beyond all repair", but she did not sink. There are some informations as the british sank her for a secret reason : before going to the Falklands, she was cruising in the persian gulf (because of the Iran-Iraq crisis, i guess), possibly full of nuclear weapons. And she went to the Falkland directly without a stop in the UK to unload the nukes, and it would be the reason why they sank it, to avoid any international diplomatic scandal. I dont know if it's true, though, but it may be (Since then, the british Minister of Defense has admited that some Falkland warships carried nuclear weapons). According to the book, it was severly damaged but not as much to not tug it back to the UK. (the book is "pilotes dans la tourmente", written by Jean-Pierre Otelli, it's a compilation of various real pilots stories).

Edited by Zero77

They were going to tow the Sheffield back to South Georgia to repair, but too much water entered the hole in her side and she sank, the other hit by the exocet was the Atlantic Conveyer, which the Argentines thought was a carrier initially.

I don't see how any British warships/submarines carrier nuclear weapons in the vicinity could or would have caused an international scandal, I think it's highly likely that some did. 

I think it was the outline, flat top, don't think they ever got that near to it until the attack, the Harriers had already been removed onto the Carriers. The second photo is either at Ascension Island or South Georgia, where they are quite clearly ready to depart.

Edited by Kagemusha