A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Kai,

The AVENGER looks AWESOME.!

Is the lead sheet you have,have a sticky back, or just plan sheet?  I have some but it has a stinky back that I used to make FLAK vest for

my B-17 crew sans ball turret gunner.   It is some handy stuff.

watch'in you :beer:

jack

Thanks Jack!  

The sheet I used is leftover from a 3" x 5" sheet that Verlinden released back in the 90's.  It's getting hard to find now these days, but it's still possible to get some smaller (1/2" x 3" ?) from UMM-USA.  All of the lead sheet I have is the non-sticky kind, which is what I prefer.  Great stuff and easy to work with!  I don't think I coulda taken on the Avenger rebuild without it.

Kai

Not trying to be a party pooper to this fantastic build, and i am not an engineer, but do you have to worry about Galvanic action between the 2 dissimilar metals? Brass has an Anodic index of .40, while lead has an index of .70.... according to the page linked below, in normal conditions, there should not be more than a .25 difference to avoid corrosion. Just trying to help-

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

Very fine work ;)

Kai

Fantastic progress on the Hog, as the nose, fuselage strakes and cannon look tremendous.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Beautiful work Kai!

Barry

Thanks much for the kind words and encouragement gents!  

Not trying to be a party pooper to this fantastic build, and i am not an engineer, but do you have to worry about Galvanic action between the 2 dissimilar metals? Brass has an Anodic index of .40, while lead has an index of .70.... according to the page linked below, in normal conditions, there should not be more than a .25 difference to avoid corrosion. Just trying to help-

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

Lee-

Thanks for the heads up.  To be honest, it hadn't occurred to me that this might be an issue.  I've used this material combination once in the past, and don't remember any issues.  I followed the link you provided, and I do think that there are a number of variables that come into play.  The lead sheet is pretty soft, so it probably does have a fairly high lead content, but their may be some variation in the ratio of metals in the brass.  I'm also thinking that the CA that was pulled between the metals (via capillary action) would probably have an insulating effect.  I also noticed that in controlled environments, the the differential can be as high as .50.  Perhaps my display case (constant 70 degrees with low humidity) would qualify?

Very interesting question- I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it  :)

Thanks my friend- Kai

Well Kai, shure is purrdy. Very nice work,I'm envious. One question, wat winders would be correct for DS?.........Harv

Thanks Harv!  All the info I have come across indicates the AIM-9L or AIM-9M versions for Desert Storm.  The 9 Lima's came out in 1977, the 9 Mike's in 1982 though one reference indicates that these were made available in Desert Storm to deal with specific threats.  It seems that these outwardly had similar appearances, so aside from specific stencil markings, either one would probably work.  I noticed Zactoman offers these as the "AIM-9L/M"

Kai

Thanks Harv!  All the info I have come across indicates the AIM-9L or AIM-9M versions for Desert Storm.  The 9 Lima's came out in 1977, the 9 Mike's in 1982 though one reference indicates that these were made available in Desert Storm to deal with specific threats.  It seems that these outwardly had similar appearances, so aside from specific stencil markings, either one would probably work.  I noticed Zactoman offers these as the "AIM-9L/M"

Kai

Zacto's, thats why I asked. They are the bees knees.........Harv  :popcorn: