A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Kai, going through my stash, I stumbled upon my very badly damaged F-105, and was wondering if the wing tanks would be close for the center A-10 tank. I have to say, I don't think I have ever seen one with a cl tank. Also, could you give me the od and id of the brass tube for the gun.Also, I have an ABER gatlin, would that work ?Not sure what mod it is though. Keep up the great work! I love watching buddy.......Harv :popcorn:

Kai, going through my stash, I stumbled upon my very badly damaged F-105, and was wondering if the wing tanks would be close for the center A-10 tank. I have to say, I don't think I have ever seen one with a cl tank. Also, could you give me the od and id of the brass tube for the gun.Also, I have an ABER gatlin, would that work ?Not sure what mod it is though. Keep up the great work! I love watching buddy.......Harv :popcorn:

Harv-

I hear ya on the CL tank.  In reality, they were really only used for ferry flights.  Testing for combat use didn't start until 2012, right before they decommissioned the A-10's.  I of course speculated that the tanks would have been tested and cleared for the A-10B by 1991, however after looking into the GBU-12's, I am starting to have second thoughts on hanging the CL tank.

I took some measurements so you can compare to the 105 tank

A-10A Kit Tank

• .853 inch diameter (but probably needs to be closer to .870-.875 inch diameter)
  • 8-15/16 inch long (but probably needs to be closer to 9-5/8 inch long)

In regards to the brass used on the Avenger

• Shroud: K&S Brass tube #134 (11/32 dia x .014 wall)
  • Sleeve:  K&S Brass tube #133 (5/16 inch dia x .014 wall)
  • Master Model 32059 GAU-8 Muzzle Assembly: .293 inch dia

IMG_9036_600_zps4c194b90.jpg

The sleeve is the second from the left, the shroud is the third from the left.  To get the Master Model muzzle assembly to fit to the sleeve, I had to carve the inside edge of the sleeve a bit to create a bevel that would take it- you can kind of see it in the pic.  The same was done to the external end of the shroud to thin it as even at .014 inch wall, it is still a bit too thick.

I'm unfamiliar with the Aber muzzle, but I suspect it should be in the same ballpark- let me know as it would be very interesting to compare these.

Hope this helps!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Hello all!

Started on the wings and spent quite a bit of time trying to get the them figured out- some pics of where I'm at so far.

IMG_9281_600_zps995e21e8.jpg

The aileron stub on the lower wing half was cut along what appeared to be the hinge line.  The cut stops short on the inboard side.  With careful cutting with a razor saw and new knife blade, I was able to save the balance on the outboard end.

IMG_9285_600_zpse664b8ef.jpg

The cut for the aileron on the upper wing was a bit more straightforward, though the correct hinge line took quite a bit of research to figure out.  The indented hinge line on the kit part is not correct- it is too far forward.  If anything the upper hinge line should be slightly behind the hinge line on the lower wing (they are not in the same position along the chord). 

IMG_9290_600_zps9e275ded.jpg

Here, a view of the cuts in relation to each other.  The raised bumps for the aileron hinges have been shaved off and the indent will be filled in.

IMG_9292_600_zps4255a1e2.jpg

As I will be depicting the the speed brakes closed and the ailerons neutral, I've permanently combined them with strips on the interior.  The tabs were trimmed away so the articulation for the brake hinges can be built in a more recessed fashion from the underside.

IMG_9295_600_zps4e4f3405.jpg

The trim tab was cut away as well.  After reviewing reference pics, the angle appears to be correct, however out of the box, the trim tab looked like a continuance of the brake control surface rather than a separate, articulated control.  After clean up, it will be re-attached in pretty much the same position.

IMG_9297_600_zpsc96e81ca.jpg

The leading edge for the aileron was built out with .188 thick styrene strip.  The intent here was to build out just deep enough to embed into the wing rather than build out an entire, rounded shape.

IMG_9299_600_zps0f754cf4.jpg

The leading edge is roughed in here and the first glimpse of what it should look like starts to appear.  The placement of the aileron hinges were taken from the Detail and Scale plan view, though in retrospect, it's become apparent that I miscalculated the inboard hinge.  It should correspond to the pylon on the underside- Bah!   :doh:  

IMG_9310_600_zpsf596511d.jpg

Wing spars were built out with some detail, though it will be pretty difficult to see much of it.  All the edges along the aileron and flaps were thinned to scale as well.

IMG_9307_600_zps720573c3.jpg

A before-after pic of the upper wing from the interior.  The upper shows the modifications to the right wing, the lower shows the unaltered kit part for the left wing.  The interior detail in the landing gear sponson has been scraped clean so it can be built from scratch as well as cleaning up punch marks and mold seams.

IMG_9322_600_zps714d45f3.jpg

A similar before-after pic of the lower wings, with the modified right wing on the top.  Here, a good view of the inboard aileron hinge in relation to the pylon location for station 1, which should line up together.  Looks like I have some more work to do...

Actually, at this point, I'm surprised that is the only casualty so far.  The work on the ailerons has been very tedious and challenging to unravel.  About 15 hours was spent on the right aileron alone, not counting the work done to the wing parts.  I've left the left wing alone until I can establish the modification path, so there's still alot to do.

Anyhoo, thanks for looking!

Kai

Thanks much for the encouragement!  It's becoming a bit of a slog fest, and I'm really looking forward to making some progress.  For now though, still chasing down little details...

IMG_9257_600_zps9d2ca585.jpg

Before gluing the fuselage halves together, I cut out a small notch for the canopy hinge and added some interior sides.  The Verlinden photo-etch panel was then modified and added.

IMG_9255_600_zps2e0b3fea.jpg

The hoses for the cockpit air conditioning were also added.  I had to scratch and add similar pieces for the back seat (but forgot to take pics...)

IMG_9268_600_zps40f5a55b.jpg

A internal frame was added to the windscreen.  I will put down a coat of primer over the frames to sharpen them up a bit.

IMG_9275_600_zpsa969a950.jpg

Before joining the windscreen, there is a significant gap along its forward edge that needs to be filled.  Styrene strip was used to fill the difference.

IMG_9278_600_zps4fb21a9b.jpg

Here, the roughed in strip.  

IMG_8061_600_zpsf060c222.jpg

Decided to finally start in on the seats.  I have a couple of options here- kit seats, Verlinden, TAC Scale, or the Tamiya F-15E seats.  Out of all of them, the Tamiya seats looked the most straightforward.  To get them to sit properly in the Verlinden tub, a couple of risers were added to the bottom.

IMG_9260_600_zpsb65f8088.jpg

Seatbelts were added using lead sheet and the Verlinden photo-etch.

IMG_9270_600_zpsb65f8088.jpg

Base painting done

Still lots of clean up and finishing to go still :wacko: .  I also ran into a setback with the canopy.  After giving it a coat of Future, I set it aside to dry and harden up in a sealed tub.  Unfortunately, its come out very bumpy and looks terrible, so I will be doing another one.   :BANGHEAD2:

That's it for today's update- Thanks for looking!

Kai

Guest Peterpools

Kai

Brilliant progress on the Hog .. the wings and ailerons are shaping up beautifully and the front windscreen and seats look brilliant as well.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thanks Loic!

Kai

Brilliant progress on the Hog .. the wings and ailerons are shaping up beautifully and the front windscreen and seats look brilliant as well.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks much Peter!  Slow but steady :)

Kai, the quality of your workmanship is truly outstanding ! :popcorn:

Hubert

Thanks for the kind words Hubert!

Hey Kai,

I know it's probably to late but you can soak your canopy in Windex for a little while and it will remove the Future.

I've had to do it a few times over the years and it works good.

Loving what your doing

watch'in you :hmmm:

jack

Great tip Jack- I thought about soaking it in ~something~ but wasn't sure what would do the trick.  I'll give it a try

Thanks buddy

Kai