A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

While I wait for various parts and materials to arrive, I decided to knock out some peripheral stuff...

IMG_8299_500_zps6b426fb2.jpg

Was looking over the fins, which still need some scribed lines for the new caps, when I noticed some of the rather bizarre panel lines on the rudders.  So filled those in with CA

IMG_8300_500_zps3d9a8322.jpg

Proofed here with replacement lines that are more accurate.

IMG_8712_500_zps94b049ee.jpg

Decided to dry-fit everything to see how it's all coming together.

IMG_8713_500_zpscd393da4.jpg

From the front quarter with a good view of the engines.  After taking these pics, I had a hard time finding a place to put all the parts aside, so decided to spend the rest of the day cleaning up my workspace...

IMG_8729_500_zpse397ac82.jpg

I also started exploring some of the work that will need to be done for the wings.  Ugh :wacko: .  The good news is that the landing flaps are together now, and are officially the first (and only so far) kit pieces that haven't needed to be replaced, modified or corrected.  After taking a look at how these will fit in the wing and some of the other silliness, I decided to punt for today and work instead on pylons, the centerline tank and the LANTIRN pods.

IMG_8726_500_zpsd6e5c9ae.jpg

The pylon was cut away from the targeting pod.  The navigation pod also got similar treatment, but will need considerably more surgery.

That's it for today- Thanks for looking!

Kai

What kit are the weapons from? Plan on any AM weapons ?......Harv :popcorn:

No other fun like serious modification!

So had the N/AW program continued, there would've been about another 8 years of time before DS.

The latest (late 80's) systems applied leaves us wondering how they would've been incorporated.

So far most likely how you figured, incorporating the already tested Strike Eagle systems. Same

mission, but with some Hog flavor (30mm from Hell).

Check the Fuel Tank length? Usually an area that needs correction.

Luckily the two seater kit nose is more correctly shaped than the single.

The main gear sponsons are seriously misshapen in both kits (I see the same issues shared with the old 1/48 Tamiya kit, which leads me to believe it was used by Trumpeter-unfortunately for all of us).

Compare the downward taper of the forward portion, and the width.

The real ones are Fiberglass, so no need for rows of rivets.

Awesome stuff, don't burn out!

Thanks Eric!  I appreciate the encouragement- I think it's fair to say at this point that I completely underestimated this kit.  When I started, I honestly thought I was in for a leisurely OOB build and it's turning out that nothing could be further from the truth.  

I spent a couple of hours today researching the wings.  I also found the NSN and part numbers for Sargent Fletcher and Royal Industries, but no specs for the tank.  I also found that I can apparently order a used one for between $4000-$8000 :lol: .  

Comparing the tank to reference pics, it looks too skinny, but about the right length- maybe about 3/8 inch short.  Is this what you are referring to?

IMG_8786_500_zps5d61fe50.jpg  Untitledpicture3_500_zpsaf3b0a98.jpg

e168875a-91ed-4e17-b099-b01dd1df1a83_zps  AEROTV-A10-Warthog-ThunderboltII-0809c_5

The kit 600 gallon tank (light gray) and the centerline tank from the F-15e kit (dark gray), which I believe is a 610 gallon Sargent Fletcher.

IMG_8789_500_zps5073050a.jpg  Untitledpicture4_500_zps36bb1f65.jpg

IMG_8791_500_zps1af388f7.jpg

I was hoping the F-15E tank would be closer and could be used, but it looks too big in diameter to me.

Appreciate the pointers on the sponsons- I see what you mean on those.

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

What kit are the weapons from? Plan on any AM weapons ?......Harv :popcorn:

Just noticed this :)

The LANTIRN pods are from the F-15E parts kit I've been raiding.  The targeting pod is the easy one, so I started with that.  The nav pod will be tougher as it was developed with a custom pylon designed for the F-15E and F-16's.

I have a pair SUPER nice North Star AGM-65 Mavericks, and am planning on using the GBU's and AIM-9's from the F-15E kit.  I am torn a bit on the AAQ-119 ECM pod though.  The kit comes with one, and I have Eduard PE for it, but I really don't think it holds a candle to the AMS resin piece (which I haven't ordered yet).  I suppose I should just save myself some grief and order it, eh?

Kai 

Edited by EmperorKai

Just did a check on  Sprue Bro. site. They have both AMS ALQ-199 pods (long and short) in stock for $13. Not affiliated with them, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night !.........Harv

Ha! I ordered the ECM pod this afternoon- probably the same time you were checking them :). That makes my third order from them in two weeks...

You're right tho Harv- more I thought about, the less I wanted to mess with the kit part.

Kai

I hate to say it Dude,  But I think a leisurely OOB has become "Double Trouble"

How are you heating you plastic sheet for vacking!   Ha Ha 

That was always the hard part for me to make a frame for the plastic sheet

Looking forward to seeing how the canopy and Vac mach is going to work.

watch'in you :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: no salt no butter lots of F@&t$

jack 

Nice work !

The vac machine looks great  ;)

Thanks!  I'll be posting the second half of the vac experience in the next day or 2

Not taking you away from your build, but what is our plan for the wheel sponsons. Like to hear your idea and even Mikes........Harv

Still taking a look at the sponsons- I think I will treat those as a separate assembly from the wing since there is so much going on with these.  In addition to corrections, the A-10B was supposed to have extended fairings with the targeting and nav equipment.  It gets tricky though as it seems like alot of the information on this was before the LANTIRN system came out.  I'm looking for an excuse to extend at least one of them just because it would be such a differentiating feature of the A-10B.

In the meantime, I've collected some info on corrections to the fairings... 

I hate to say it Dude,  But I think a leisurely OOB has become "Double Trouble"

How are you heating you plastic sheet for vacking!   Ha Ha 

That was always the hard part for me to make a frame for the plastic sheet

Looking forward to seeing how the canopy and Vac mach is going to work.

watch'in you :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: no salt no butter lots of F@&t$

jack 

You said it Jack!  I forgot to mention yesterday that I got the heating piece.  I decided to try a medium sized electric griddle to start with.  If I need bigger, they have them too.

81oSbI9WG7L._SX522_.jpg

Presto Liddle Griddle I got from Amazon for about $25.  Really basic, which is good.  Basically an aluminum plate with a power cord...

Hope to have some progress on the canopy in the next day or 2.

Kai

Dymo tape showed up today, so decided to catch up on the engines and aft fuselage a bit

IMG_8868_500_zps8bce2344.jpg

Cleaned up the proofing paint and scribed in missing and lost panel lines.  Will be darkening up the exhaust end a bit, but then these will be ready to join to the fuselage.

IMG_8818_500_zps5e5038ed.jpg

The fuselage itself needs some additional work before the engines can be mounted.  The biggest issue is the vents for the APU.  The kit represents the lower exhaust vent as a dome, which is a little baffling.  The upper vent is completely missing. 

IMG_8855_500_zpsf7af89b0.jpg

Holes were drilled and tubing installed.

a-10a_75-0298_080_of_121_500_zps535c44b6

Comparison pic from an A-10A.

IMG_8820_500_zps6160020f.jpg

The starboard side also has a vent, but just one and lower.  This is also completely missing on the kit.

IMG_8861_500_zps3c60bfa1.jpg

Similar treatment was done

IMG_8821_500_zps1c6d3c80.jpg

The bottom has a series of grates that don't translate too well, especially across the seam line.

IMG_8858_500_zpsd461059d.jpg

The openings were all opened up and thinned on the backside.  Precision Scale brass mesh was used for the vents.  The rectangular opening required some additional build out for the recess.

sam_0749i0uvf_500_zps5f31ad8c.jpg

A comparison pic from an A-10C

IMG_8867_500_zps4ef26a35.jpg

The inside of the fuselage showing some of the work that was done.  The small round gratings were punched with 4mm punch and die, and the APU ducts were capped.  This work would've been easier if I had caught it before the fuselage had been glued together...   :doh:

Thanks for looking!

Kai