Marines A4M Skyhawk

karimb

John thanks my friend...added some weathering today too lol

Harv thanks for the comment  :bow:

Well guys what can i say. she's done....another 'one week' build under the belt now couple of days of 'wandering in the desert' until i start something new. Got the eduard Biged sets coming anytime starting monday this week and also the brassin resin martin baker mk7 seats and resin wheels for the F4J (also added the biged set for the tamiya a6m5 zeke since eduard had a halloween discount of 13% going lol )... John, im going to need all the advice you can give me on the resin parts (thats whenever you get a moment off from the stuka build if youre willing  :please: )  as this will be a first for me - never worked with resin - so thank you in advance lol  :bow:

Sorry i digressed from the subject at hand... Today was a hectic day but i managed to finish all i had planned between picking up my daughter from my ex, and taking her to see a children's halloween show in the afternoon :wub: . I put a flat coat on, let that dry, then i did some post shading with oils on top of the fuselage just below the avionics hump, some of the top of the vertical stabilizer too... on the bottom i did some too in the landing gear bays with some dark rust colour oils. After that i did postshading with the airbrush with a dark gray because it looks more natural than black for the grime that trails from the 3 rails of each slat. i extended them back over the top of the wings and on the bottom too. After that i added the fiddly breakable bits, painted the beacons and the nav lights, added the exhaust nozzle and removed the last bits of masking tape i had left on to protect the oleos etc... I also added the gun barrels and kept the drop tanks removable. Also finished painting and chipping the access ladder that came with the kit. Overall i think she turned out puuuurty puuuurty, its not going to be the shelf of shame for her i guess :yahoo: . 

Please excuse the low quality of the photos as i have taken them with my phone, and excuse the unfinished 'diorama' base as the base is a ongoing project (been ongoing for 6 months lol every month i make sure i work for a day on the base). Tomorrow i will take proper photos during the day so we can post proper ones here. Paul, if you get a chance to read this, it says in the rules of the road not to post finished models in RFI so ill just post the completed photos here tomorrow and if you have a moment let me know...

Anyways here's a couple of 'bad quality' photos to give you an idea of how she turned out

IMG_20141101_165535_zps1674c6e5.jpg

IMG_20141101_165636_zpsdd60bf34.jpg

IMG_20141101_170125_zpsb02ee51e.jpg

IMG_20141101_171020_zpsa989156a.jpg

IMG_20141101_171039_zps84773c61.jpg

IMG_20141101_170302_zps0a7a58f9.jpg

Well thats for the photos...

overall i think it turned out nice...the nosewheel didn't turn out as horrendous as i thought it would be but still its not what is expected from a LSP... but oh well i did the best i could with all that i had available at hand

Tomorrow ill give a complete resume of the paint colour mixes used, along with some techniques i used. Just a heads up on the kit as a whole

And of course the good quality photos tomorrow. I think with the base, in natural lighting

Thank you again everyone for tagging along during this build and for all the support and positive comments

Thank you Paul for giving me a heads up on how to be part of the GB

John, Harv, Teresa, Alan, Mike and all the others who i didnt name, thank you for dropping by and being part of this build  :clap2:  :clap2:  :bow:

Ill see you guys tomorrow then with the photo post

Time to stretch my feet and grab a bite

Happy modeling everyone  :D

Karim

Edited by karimb

Karim,

She looks great, even in these photos! Can't wait to see more.

As for your F-4J and resin, in general, don't let it scare you. The only real notable difference from plastic, is that you can't use glues designed for plastic. So, CA (super glue), or epoxy would be best. I use CA for pretty much everything and if you're just dealing with seats and small parts, that should do. Epoxy is nice for larger assemblies. The only other thing I can think of is that resin parts may need a little more cleaning before painting, due to the mold release agents used on some of them, but that can vary. In any case, wash them in warm water with a little bit of detergent, just to be sure. This may already be part of your routine, as I know a lot of people who wash injection molded parts in the same manner. Just wait, pretty soon you'll be doing resin conversions and even full resin kits! ;) :D

Regards,

John

John thanks for the prompt help  :bow:

I do find that trumpeter more than other manufacturers do leave mold release agent on the kit parts so i got in the habit of always washing the trumpeter parts with dishwashing soap and water and letting them thoroughly dry before starting a build. Resin doesnt seem as hard as i thought. I bought a mini saw in order to cut the resin plugs off. CA i have loads the thick and thin and accelerator too. One thing thats still ambiguous to me is whether you have to spray the resin parts with resin primer or i can use the regular mr surfacer lacquer primer on top of them...

Harv thanks... i wish there were kits in 1/16 of modern jets...well of any airplanes for that. The airfix typhoon in 1/24 has been an idea ive been tinkering with ever since it came on the market but at the moment i have no access to the kit... but im dying to build one lol  :ninja:

Loic thanks... one week relatively. its 6 or 7 fulls days from morning to evening thats why  :bow:

So guys here are the final photos i used my dads dslr... i dont know how to remove the timestamp at the bottom of the photos so please excuse me. ill have to sort that issue out in the future cant have models photographed with a huge timestamp at the bottom of the photo.

Ill split the post in two parts to fit the photos....

Thank you again everyone for checking in  :bow:  :clap2:

IMG_4219_zpsd1228d4a.jpg

IMG_4218_zpse94da925.jpg

IMG_4205_zps84ca3bce.jpg

IMG_4206_zpsaf6e7dfa.jpg

IMG_4209_zpsce91e32b.jpg

IMG_4211_zps1d7f95de.jpg

IMG_4213_zpsb790a93b.jpg

IMG_4215_zps69864e52.jpg

IMG_4217_zps8a29f63b.jpg

IMG_4223_zpsbcf46b8c.jpg

The rest below

IMG_4224_zpsbd935866.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsca3cf494.jpg

IMG_4228_zpsff08721b.jpg

IMG_4229_zpsc850ad3e.jpg

IMG_4230_zps5017c22b.jpg

IMG_4232_zps09f5f76c.jpg

IMG_4233_zps416be55f.jpg

IMG_4235_zpsa8a2f8d3.jpg

IMG_4228_zpsff08721b.jpg

So thats for the photos guys

The paints i used were all tamiya. The light gull gray was XF20 to XF2 at a ratio of 1:1 the lower part was XF2 with two drops of buff to break the white. The tan parts of the nose fairing were painted tamiya buff. The can was painted with GSI mr metal color iron and buffed. Some of the small details were painted with the same brand in aluminum. Cockpit was painted dark gull grey and the bang seat was painted black. Washes were made of thinned enamel black and brown. The weathering of the aircraft was made with various colors of oil and some postshading...

I hope you guys like it....

Thank you again for dropping in and thanks to everyone that followed along this build...

We'll start something new in a couple of days or when i figure out when the eduard stuff will be getting here lol...

Thanks again

Karim

Holy LSP  Karim,

See is a BEAUTY and build at WARP SPEED,      Look -out John B you may have some competition in the SPEED BUILD Dept.

It take me a week just to scribble the changes I'm gonna make. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your Handy Work in the future

watch'in you :clap2:

jack

Don thanks,

Mike and Jack thank you too guys... its just i am off of work this period so when i start working on a model it really is a 'whole day' process as long as i can afford to do that timewise... I was in a bit of a crunch to get this one done since i really like the scooter and the kit had no aftermarket thrown at it. its pretty basic and pretty nice just took time to fix the stuff in the tweak list... so thank you again for you kind comments gents   :bow:  :bow:

Actually couldnt keep my hands off styrene so i started an armour build today a tamiya initial production tiger 1 on which i want to try some new products that i can maybe cross over uses to lsps... sounds promising  :clap2:

Jack btw, i checked your f105 a week ago and its simply stunning... masterclass level  :clap2:  :bow:

Bill i knew youd like the marines skyhawk lol... Got another scooter in the stash but im keeping it for later. Might be starting a USMC F4J once i get the resin and etch in this week...im just keeping an eye on the tracking number for the postal service to see where its at lol  :lol:  

Everyone thank you again for dropping in and above all thank you for you kind comments and all the support and encouragement along this build...

I still got to figure out if there's an rfi section for the gb or i should just leave the photos of the completed model here

As always,

stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

Hey Teresa...how are things going at your end...

Thanks for the comment  :bow:

Ive been on a 'building' rampage lately...

I finished the skyhawk up and worked on some armour. Oh how i missed building armour. i hadnt built a tank in 6 months and i was itching to do an east front ww2 tiger 1 which i finished too (except for the friul tracks which ive been waiting for in the mail for like forever)

The whole point of building the tiger was to test some products relative to armour on it that i can crossover to lsp's and i think some of the stuff i tried might have practical applications on the kits we build... but ill have to try that on my next wip

Thank you everyone for checking in

Karim