Which Wingnut Wing set to start with?

A62213

Hi all,

I have never made a large scale plane before - and will estimate it being 25 years ago i last made a plane.

But I have decided to try a Wingnut Wing set, cause of the detail and the quality (from what I have read).

I have no idea which to take on first, would like it to be a 2 seater and with some diorama items along - and I plan to open up the fuselage, so part of the framework and cockpit will be visible, see this thread http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=52892&do=findComment&comment=611527

So, which set to start with?

Another consideration for a diorama is the use of old automobiles from that era. There are still 1/32 old car kits available on eBay that were produced in the 1950's. Search on eBay for the Old Timers models, also 1/32 old automobiles, 1/32 Old Cars, and other searches. You can paint the old car to suit the military color scheme and place if or them near the aeroplane. Stick a high ranking officer in or near it and it will lend all sorts of interest to your diorama. If you can find a woman figure in the costume of that era you can have a scene from movie "The Blue Max."

Have fun,

Stephen

If you havnt built an aircraft in 25 years as a way to ease into your two seater project maybe a Fokker D7?

Aircraft are far more difficult construction finish wise and you might disappoint yourself launching into your big project with rigging etc immediately.

D7 has little rigging and builds well.

Good start for the jump back into aircraft..just a thought.

Wingnut sells EZ-Line on their website. It's the best stuff I've found for rigging.  It's elastic, so you cut a bit less than you need, then stretch it into place. Also means a bump won't tear your entire plane apart.

Matt  :frantic:

Well I've built 9 of the WnW kits and in my opinion the J1 would probably be the one to start with if you are worried about rigging. The next one would be W29 float plane if you can find one and then the albatros. My first was the albatros DV and it went well. The fokker DVII is another good option but the cockpit framing is a little fickle and will have some fit problem if not lined up exactly. The rumpler is 'fun' to rig but the fit it great and the roland isn't too bad also. Mst of the british stuff is a nightmare to rig with some exceptions. Anyway you go you will most likely enjoy the builds as long as you take your time.

Thanks for all you replies!!

I can't find that J1??

And living in Denmark, are there any dealers in Europe a or do I have to order directly from

WNW?

Hannants carry a selection http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=362422&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id= 

However you're probably better off ordering from WNW, as Hannants have to put their mark-up on.  If you're able to make SMW you can pre-order and get the discount, but you'd have to do the sums and decide yourself which was more economical.

There are many votes here for the German subjects, but my preference is for RFC and RNAS.  Just taken delivery of a Sopwith Triplane, and just clearing the bench a bit before starting it.

MDC here in the UK do a nice range of figures, including some WWI subjects http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_427842/1/Figure%252032nd

Edited by MikeC

Ive built quite a few of the WnW kits, and cant necessarily agree with the "German is better" philosophy when it comes to the kits themselves. All the kits are great, and once you know how they go together, you can really start enjoying them.

Personally one mans nightmare is another mans joy. BUT I would concur with the recommendation to start with something with less rigging than your average WW1 Brit plane.

I had a blast rigging my last two WnW kits (Late Sopwith Snipe and the MOST fun to me, the DH-2) and once you get in the rigging "mode" things come easier. I would however highly recommend Matt's suggestion of EZ Line. Some do not like it, and tend to use fishing line but the times I have tried it, after awhile, the fishing line lets tension go, and you have to take a hot knife next to the rigging to get things tight again.

I have at least two models I have used EZ Line on that are now approaching 7 or 8 years old with no determinable difference in the look or tension of the EZ Line.

It also works well for guys like me who tend to be a bit ham-fisted, and if you bump something, it will not destroy the model, or even bother the line you just rigged. If your doing a DFW, then you shouldn't need to dye your EZ Line (it takes well to dye pens and permanent marker for varying shads of rigging) and all you might need are some eyelets and or some mini-tubing for the buckels at each end of the rigging. You can make these yourself by twisting some wire for the little eyelets. You can also buy mini-tubing and eyelets from "Bobs Buckles" out of the UK. (He is temporarily closed at the moment however due to a death in the family)

Bobs Buckles

They sell EZ Line right off of the WnW site for your German rigging. (They also sell "Prym" rigging, which is flat and mainly used on the British planes)

Edited by Out2gtcha

I bought the EZ line, and a extra sprue with the fuselage on - so I got a spare, if my intention og openning it up fails.

Thinking of a diorama with the engine out, a destroyed propel on the ground and just outside of an old hangar.

Brian,

I love EZ line, but I'm pretty vocal about my fishing line because of the strength it adds to the structure.

My ham fists come into play when I'm cleaning around my models, and the extra strength really pays off for me.

I've had one or two lines loosen off on me over the years, but for the most part, a hot knife fixed it right up.

The one thing with fishing line is that you have to be careful not to pull it too tight, or you can warp and distort structures: ie DH-2 booms.

I also much prefer the way fishing line goes through Bob's Buckles.

Her Clunk,

I would say that what ever works for each of us works best! If that works best for you I would definitely stick with it.

I agree there are some advantages to it, I just didnt like having to get things re-tensioned after a year or two in the case. I also definitely agree that when applied correctly, the fishing line would add strength; Im just not in the camp that believes its necessarily needed.