Mig -17F I'm in again

Bruce

things are coming together.  I've got the fuselage together and am working on mounting the wings, then its on to plumbing the wheel wells.  about the wings...I had to move the mounting holes for the drop tanks and this is how I did it.  I made a template for moving the holes.  I took a clear piece of plastic and glued it to a plane piece of styrene.  I marked on the bottom of the wing, the centerline for the middle wing fence on the top of the wing.  holding the template over the existing holes I marked their position in relation to the leading edge.  On my template I marked the centerpoint between the two holes and drilled a small holes in my template.  I slid the template along the bottom of the wing until my centerpoint on the template landed on the fence centerline mark then using my small drill bit thru the template holes, I marked the new location for the mounting brack for the drop tank.  Drill the bottom of the wing with larger holes for the bracket and Voila!, the new location is done.

DSCF4510.jpg

DSCF4509.jpg

DSCF4512.jpg

DSCF4520.jpg

now if I can just get the wings on straight !

Bruce

more progress...fuselage and wings are glued together.  I had to add a ton of weight above the gun panel and drilled into the backside of the resin nose piece and added lead weight  in order to get the thing to balance due to the resin tail and my PVC exhaust pipe.  I had cut off the wing fences and cut slots in the wing for brass replacements and was going to to use them but decided it was going to be easier to use the brass ones as a template to make 10 thou plastic ones.  I've decided to do a silver Mig of the 1972 time frame since my F-4E project F-4E was shot down by one.  I've got to plumb the wheel wells and I'm ready for priming and paint.

DSCF4522.jpg

DSCF4523.jpg

Bruce

Bruce, I think this is shaping up to be the best ever build of this aircraft I've ever seen ! How much trouble was the tail to add ?.....Harv :popcorn:

Edited by Guest

the tail wasn't that hard to add.  I marked a line on each fuselage section that was close to where I thought the new tail would go and cut the old tail off above that line (its always easier to cut a little more off than add plastic back on).  I glued the two fuselage sections together then started refining my cutout for the new tail.

Bruce

Well it won't get done by the close out of the build but hopefully I can get it done to take to Jacksonville, FL next weekend.  Here is the latest update....

speed brake area and wheel wells are plumbed:

DSCF4535.jpg

DSCF4536.jpg

DSCF4538.jpg

DSCF4539.jpg

I'll add a little more plumbing when the gear is in and well add some to the nose wheel well also

Bruce

I forgot, I got the speed brakes done too.  I hate saying it but I wasn't happy with the Eduard update set for numerous reasons.  i.e.,  I had to add lots of other detail in order for the photo etch to be used.  You can't glue the stuff on the inside of the speed brake.

speed%20brakes.jpg

Bruce

Edited by Bruce