Wingnut 1/32 Roland D.VIa

AndrewS

Andrew, can you please tell me what kind of turnbuckles you used for this build.

Greetz

Danny

Hi!

I've used the gaspatch models turnbuckles. they are 3d printed metal, very good  http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/products/metal-turnbuckles-32.html

I've used the c type and in one of next posts I'll show how I've used them

Andrew

Hi!

Thanks for your nice comments  :)

I've added some reinforcements on the wings that can be seen on the pictures of real aircraft.

WingreinfO_zps5421811a.jpg

Wingreinf_zps0d0963dc.jpg

On the upper wing the crosses were repainted over the old style ones, like on the real plane (you see gray on the first picture, but after a discussion on a WWI forum I've decided that green was more probable)

Wingkreuz_zps3475a33f.jpg

Wing_01_zps55f222a9.jpg

I've buit from scrtch the mg supports inside the  cockpit (they still need some details)

MGsupport_01_zps26bfa19e.jpg

MGsupport_02_zpsf42df53d.jpg

Now the turnbuckles:

I've used the gaspatch model ones. 

I've added a small eyelet on one end to fix them in the holes on the wing. Gaspatch sells a type of turnbuckles with this eyelet end allready modelled, but because is a rigid part attached to the turnbuckles , you have to attache the turnbuckles to the wing allready with the right angle.

With my method you have some degrees of freedom because the eyelet is non rigidly fixed to the turnbuckle.

Turn_01_zps3fa8f6cd.jpg

Turn_02_zpsda84e1f9.jpg

You can see also some eyelet that I'll glue to the top wing to fix the rigging wire (this plane has turnbuckles on lower wing and rigid attachment on the top wing). Below you can see how I make them. The tool that I use is a pin that I found in an old tool box, but you can create something similar with steel wire.

Buckles_01_zpsf4114fe4.jpg

best

Andrew

Edited by AndrewS

Seriously beautiful work.

With regards to putting the decals down on an undercoat, I didn't use one for my LVG and the decals had horrible adhesion. Bought a new set and undercoatet and it was fine. So for that reason too an undercoat is a good thing.

fantastic - really love the wood effect and shading you have achieved! With the oil shading on the wings, did you thin the oils much or right out of the tubes?

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post...

I used the oils straight from the tube. I've put them on the surface , waited few minutes and wiped away with a slight moistened brush.

Some updates:

I've started to paint the propeller. Acrylic base and oils on top. later I'll add a top coat with tamiya clear yellow

Propeller_01_zps394bdfd4.jpg

Propeller_02_zpsf65fe488.jpg

The oils on the fuselage are dry, so I've added a clear coat to seal it and posed the decals

Assembly_02_zps281c0d82.jpg

Assembly_03_zps89b60eb4.jpg

almost ready for the final assembly

Assembly_04_zps71cf70a2.jpg

I hope to do some work during the week end!

bye

Andrew