F-84E first try with foil Done final pics will follow

mark31

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Aces ... on the recovery and I sure am glad we were able to assist. The Thunderjet looks terrific and she is becoming a gem to admire. I've found that Alclad and the same should be for foil they are at times too smooth and glossy and that creates a few difficulties of it's own.

Glad you were able to step back, take a deep brreath, regroup the troops and save the day.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Jack

Well said and congratulations for your achievements on having your work displayed in museums were they will certainly be admired.

Peter

And you wanted to put this Fine creation on the SOD........when? about 24 hrs ago?

What a DIFFERENCE a day makes

Very nice recovery and some new experiences to go along with it.

Learned more than you thought with one model.

Now he is going to do a F-86...............Show-off

Jack

And you wanted to put this Fine creation on the SOD........when? about 24 hrs ago?

What a DIFFERENCE a day makes

Very nice recovery and some new experiences to go along with it.

Learned more than you thought with one model.

Now he is going to do a F-86...............Show-off

Jack

Yes almost 24hrs ago and like u said what a difrence a day makes.

I have learnd a lot out this kit thats why im going to do the F-86 to get more feeling with the foil.

Thats all thanks to all of u guys that are showing ther foild models over in the RFI section :whistle: :)

Mark

Ok here im back again with bad news.

I have used tamiya tape to mask a area for paint all whent well untill i removed the tape.

A part of the foil came loos as the same for the decals. :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

So now i going to remove the other decals and try to fi the panels that have damage.

Here is a pic.

BILD3462_zps6e19fe02.jpg

I dondt know what duu use for masking on foil?

Im glad this is only a test model but one thing that can make my day bad is that my skyraider arrived today :D

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

EGADS! Sure hope you can work your magic again and pull off another perfect repair.

Only two reasons I can think off that caused the damaged:

The fuselage might have had some mold release on it and it not enough glue was used under the foil.

I've found with Alclad, which has the same super shinny surface, decals have a tough time bonding to it. I use extra Micro Set and Sol to help them grab on to the surface. I always de-tact my Tamiya tape almost to the point all the stickiness is gone. Personally, I have zero faith in masking over decals, especially on Alclad and the same would apply to foil, as the decals just can't bit into the surface very well. My solution: I chicken out every time and avoid it like the plague.

Peter

Mark - the finish is great, I really like it!  Unlucky with the tape ripping the foil.  Fortunately, in these situations you should be able to cut exactly around the nearest panel lines with a new knife blade and then replace the panels with new foil.  I'm thinking for the serial numbers you could maybe hand paint the missing bits?  You mentioned that there was some damage on the wing decals, but to me that looks fine - just like weathering in fact.  On the last model I made I covered it with real metal panels made from pewter sheet, and deliberately used fine grade sandpaper to 'weather' any markings or paint applied over the top - I think in small amounts it looks very realistic

Hope you can fix the nose..

Mark get yourself some "Frisket Film" This is a great way I have found to mask on foil. I used it both on my P-40 and B-25 without a single hitch.

If that is not around locally (can obviously source if of the interwebs) then stuff like the mask material that Ian @ Ad Astra masks uses also work like magic. Forgot to mention in all this foiling biz............

NEVER use Tamiya tape or even the blue painters tape to mask over foil.  I realize its a bit late for that sage piece of advise...............sorry!

Also Peter is right on decals over foil too..............I NEVER mask over any decals no matter what. They just never seem to ever survive the process.

To replace the codes I have used spar black decal paper from the spares bit to replace damaged bits before with great effect, and in this case might be  a good choice since the codes have right angles and no curves.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Mark

EGADS! Sure hope you can work your magic again and pull off another perfect repair.

Only two reasons I can think off that caused the damaged:

The fuselage might have had some mold release on it and it not enough glue was used under the foil.

I've found with Alclad, which has the same super shinny surface, decals have a tough time bonding to it. I use extra Micro Set and Sol to help them grab on to the surface. I always de-tact my Tamiya tape almost to the point all the stickiness is gone. Personally, I have zero faith in masking over decals, especially on Alclad and the same would apply to foil, as the decals just can't bit into the surface very well. My solution: I chicken out every time and avoid it like the plague.

Peter

Yes im going to try to repair the damage.

I have the decals for the other markings in the bo so now it ill be ith red stripes

Mark - the finish is great, I really like it!  Unlucky with the tape ripping the foil.  Fortunately, in these situations you should be able to cut exactly around the nearest panel lines with a new knife blade and then replace the panels with new foil.  I'm thinking for the serial numbers you could maybe hand paint the missing bits?  You mentioned that there was some damage on the wing decals, but to me that looks fine - just like weathering in fact.  On the last model I made I covered it with real metal panels made from pewter sheet, and deliberately used fine grade sandpaper to 'weather' any markings or paint applied over the top - I think in small amounts it looks very realistic

Hope you can fix the nose..

Thanks for the tips but i have other markings to use.

Mark get yourself some "Frisket Film" This is a great way I have found to mask on foil. I used it both on my P-40 and B-25 without a single hitch.

If that is not around locally (can obviously source if of the interwebs) then stuff like the mask material that Ian @ Ad Astra masks uses also work like magic. Forgot to mention in all this foiling biz............

NEVER use Tamiya tape or even the blue painters tape to mask over foil.  I realize its a bit late for that sage piece of advise...............sorry!

Also Peter is right on decals over foil too..............I NEVER mask over any decals no matter what. They just never seem to ever survive the process.

To replace the codes I have used spar black decal paper from the spares bit to replace damaged bits before with great effect, and in this case might be  a good choice since the codes have right angles and no curves.

I will look around for that kind of masking tape so a lot learnd again.

Many thanks for the tips

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Looking forward to the update photos with the repairs behind you and the Thinderjet close to being completed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter