Czech post war green colour?

GrahamF

Graham,

We must be thinking along the same lines...I'm trying to find out exactly as well.

This is one of my upcoming projects...

Czechc-79postwar_zpsaa73278c.jpg

I'm trying to get a match or at least a ballpark idea of what color green this is.  Some Avia S-199s and S-92s were in RLM 02, but others were painted similar to this aircraft...

I'd like to see your projects. :popcorn:   I have an S-92 in the works someday as well

Cheers,   Ian

Graham,

We must be thinking along the same lines...I'm trying to find out exactly as well.

This is one of my upcoming projects...

Czechc-79postwar_zpsaa73278c.jpg

I'm trying to get a match or at least a ballpark idea of what color green this is.  Some Avia S-199s and S-92s were in RLM 02, but others were painted similar to this aircraft...

I'd like to see your projects. :popcorn:   I have an S-92 in the works someday as well

Cheers,   Ian

Hi Ian, You probably already know this but it seems to be RLM 82 [ courtesy of Rick] which to me looks spot on. That looks like an interesting subject! Ill post my two when their done. Graham.

It seems that in the case of the Avia S-199, there were at least two colours, a green-grey similar to RLM 02 and a dark olive green similar to RLM 83. It seems that the factory used remaining stocks of German paint.

My source on that is the Wings and Wheels book on the Avia S-199. The photos in the book support that and the evidence seems solid.

In the case of Israeli Avias, the book "Avia S-199 in Israeli Air Force Service" by Yofe and Nyveen identified the colur as similar to RAL 6013 Schilfgruen which is very similar to RLM 02.

My own personal prefence for RLM 02 is Lifecolor LC UA071.

Hth,

Radu

I'm not at all sure that the old "they used existing stocks of German paint" chestnut is accurate.  Is there any kind of proof other than supposition?  The Czech paint industry certainly existed well before WWII, and I see no reason to think it didn't

The statement about the colours used on the Avia comes from the authors of the Wings and Wheels Publications book on the Avia. Do you have this book?  Furthermore, the colour identified by the two Israeli authors is similar to RLM 02 - they clearly state that they studied a preserved panel that was not exposed to sunlight. Do you have this book? If you do not have these books, then you are missing the basic information.

Sorry, but I do not understand why this is a "chestnut". The Avia S-199 was made with German-made parts. Why would they make a whole plane with nothing but German parts and suddently get all shy when it comes to paint? They had a whole factory of German parts and tools. Surely it is logical that they also inherited paint from the Germans along all the other German stuff.

I also do not understand the "pre-war Czech industry" statement. Surely, when the Germans took over the Czech industry and used it to make German equipment, they implemented a lot of German standards, from screws to paints, so that they would match the existing German equipment. The "pre-war Czech industry" became "German wartime industry".  That is why the Czechs ended up with enough parts to make the Avias.

Have you seen the JaPo books on the German manufacture of aircrfat in the CZech Republic? I see no single mention of "Czech paints" - it is all German paints.

Naah, this is not a "chestnut" and it is not a "mystery".  You just need to listen and watch, the information is available and clear. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Radu

Edited by Radub

You showed absolutely no evidence of any kind. What makes you "right"? If the best references are wrong and you are right, then please share this "correct knowledge" with us. What is the correct shade? What is that based on? In the absence of evidence, you are just muddying the waters for no one's benefit.

Sorry, but I have absolutely NO reason to disregard two of the best references in print about the Avia. S-199 in exchange for "these are not droids you are looking for". I need more than that.

In a separate thread I showed you numerous separate Mustang restorations and you flippantly and summarily dismissed them with a "never trust a restoration". Now, suddenly, you ask me to "trust a restoration"? Can't have it both ways!

But let us address the museum pieces anyway. The Avia B534 is a pre-war plane, it has nothing to do with Germany. The Avia S-199 is a postwar plane and has everything to do with Germany. Do not confuse the two.

And why do you claim the colour on the S-199 is "not RLM 02"? How about the colour on the same museum's Avia S-92? Any thoughts?

I have been to the Kbely museum four times. I am going again in the spring. I have hundreds of photos of the Avias S-199 and S-92. I can tell you that the colour on the planes can change depending on light - "Google images" will show you that. I also asked you if you have the book by Wings and Wheels Publications. Have you seen the photos in it? The colour keeps changing from photo to photo, but overwhelmingly is is a olive-greenish grey that looks a lot like RLM 02.

Anyway, please go this website: http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index800.htm go to Walkarounds and choose Avia. Anyone can see that the Kbely S-199 Is RLM 02.

Radu

Maybe I will add some confusion, but a few years ago I had a brief conversation with Yoav Efrati about colours of the Israeli Avias, and he pointed to Revell SM (satin finish) 362 as almost a dead-on match for those aircraft, not RLM02.  I still have that tin unopened....

Jens

Maybe I will add some confusion, but a few years ago I had a brief conversation with Yoav Efrati about colours of the Israeli Avias, and he pointed to Revell SM (satin finish) 362 as almost a dead-on match for those aircraft, not RLM02.  I still have that tin unopened....

Jens

No confusion. Revell 362 is matched to RAL 6013 Schilfgruen, which is very similar to the RLM 02 colour swatches in Kenneth Merricks latest books on German paints.

Radu

Does anyone has the colour information for:

1) Prop blades

2) Wheel wells

3) u/c legs

4) Wheel hubs

(-: Roy

The prop blades were RLM 70 black green. The wheel wells and L/G legs were the same colour as the exterior colour. The wheel hubs were either black or the same colour as the exterior (check photos of the subject).

Hth

Radu