1/32 Saab JAS39 Gripen - So, the Nordic saga begins...

Derek B

Good work Derek! Interesting to follow!

HÃ¥kan

Thanks HÃ¥kan,

I now have to figure out exactly where and how I need to section the Revell kit to match the plans, so this may take me a while.

Cheers

Derek

Looking good there Derek , I am following this one as well. I don´t have that much time to hang around on the forums lately, am doing a full size scratch build of a new kitchen in my house at the moment... These old houses need a lot of TLC...

/Stoffe

Thanks Stoffe - Good luck with the kitchen scratchbuild project :)

Derek

Hi Derek,

nice work on the seamless intakes for the Gripen. But aren't they a bit wrong in shape? :fight:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers

Rainer

lol :lol: (trust you Rainer).

As HÃ¥kan said, that is the easy bit. Once I have sectioned it (I still need to decide exactly where) it will be in so many small pieces that it will be completely unrecognizable!

Derek

The slaying of the Griffin...

No sooner has the mythical creature emerged, then it is cruelly cut down - In the case of this particular Revell JAS39 Gripen kit, quite literally. Correction of the kit will be carried out in several developed stages. The first is to separate the kit into sections which will then be extended - the aim being to get to kit to match the plans in outline shape and size; correcting and fine tuning the actual shape will follow later.

The kit, once adjusted, will more or less end being completely rebuilt before I finally section it again for the final kit breakdown and detailing.

8-12-13001_zpsdb402b16.jpg

In order to determine if the kit was anywhere close to the drawings in side view, it was necessary to section it vertically into two halves like a conventional IM kit (this occurred after removal of the integral lower fuselage gun).

8-12-13002_zpsfc42afa1.jpg

8-12-13003_zps2892d7cc.jpg

Best fit position.

8-12-13004_zps17caf35f.jpg

Fuselage moved forward to the correct cockpit position.

8-12-13005_zps7cee30d6.jpg

Fuselage relocated to the correct position for the fin position.

8-12-13006_zpsb7333153.jpg

First stage of removing the forward cockpit and intake area.

8-12-13007_zps3df290c3.jpg

Spine, intake and cockpit nose section removed; start of removal of fat fuselage section.

8-12-13008_zps9a98ec29.jpg

Sectioned parts repositioned in the correct locations on the plan.

8-12-13009_zps7e8328bf.jpg

8-12-13010_zps7ada8baa.jpg

Comparison of the sectioned left fuselage against the still unsectioned right kit fuselage.

Derek

Second Matt's comments to the tee.

Peter

Matt, Peter,

Thank you for your kind words and comments gents...No one ever said that it was going to be easy :)

Derek

Edited by Derek B