P-51D "Jumpin' Jacques" (Tamiya Kit)

Delayar

Hi!

Since this is my first post on LSP, i'd like to give a short introduction.

My name is Markus, and I live in Vienna in Austria. I have been building models since I was a young teenager (which is a long time ago, since I am now 37). Of course my modelling then was different from now. I just glued the kits together, painted it roughly with a brush and put the decals on. I stopped modelling for a few years during my twenties, only building the occasional 1/12 motorbike.

I started again with aircraft modelling in 2008, this time with the whole programm, using all the common modelling techniques.

Mostly I did jets in 1/48. The only 1/32 so far was the old Revell F-15E prototype kit from the 80ies, which I built once as a teenager (it was one of the first models I built) and a second time a few years ago.

As planes in 1/32 tend to be quite large, and space is a rare commodity, I believe 1/48 will be my main scale in the future. However, the new Tamiya kits like the F-16CJ (I know, it is not that new anymore), the Mustang and the Corsair really intrigued me, and so I have the F-16 and the P-51D in my stash.

And now to the topic of this post:

I managed to lay hands on a Eagle Strike decal sheet which contains markings for th P-51D "Jumpin' Jacques". I really like that color scheme, and I would like to build my Mustang this way.

The markings are for the original WW II Jumpin Jacques with the registration number 464076, not the P-51 of the Hangar 11 collection, which is painted up as Jumpin Jacques, but has a different registration number (472035).

So far, I found out that it would have been a P-51D-20.

However, the Tamiya kit (I have got the original boxing) has a lot of options, Variant A is for a P-51D-25, Variant B is for a P-51D-10. I want to build this model of the Jumin' Jacques as accurate as possible, but I am lost with all the options of the Tamiya kit. All the different canopies, cockpit interior parts, IP shroud,...

I would really apreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

Hopefully, a WIP thread will follow.

Best regards and thank you,

Markus

Guest Peterpools

Markus

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum. I'm now in the process of building my second Tamiya Mustang and can't say enough how brilliant the kits are. When I built my first Mustang, it was a -20 I believe and I actually asked the same question. The best advice I was given was to study as many photos as possible and use which every parts matched up best from either the A or B plans. I know it's not the answer you were looking for but it turned out to be the best way to go and worked out well in the end. I didn't drive myself crazy and I went with what looked right.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks.

I only found two not very large pictures of 44-64076, the others all showing the aircraft of Hangar 11.

Seems I have to look at other pictures of similar aircrafts at a similar timeframe.

Regards,

Markus

I would strongly recommend joining the P-51 Special Interest Group forum and posting your question there.  That forum has a HUGE wealth of knowledge on the Mustang - probably more than you could ever hope to want to know.  

http://p51sig.com/index.php

J

Hi Jennings,

This forum was already pointed out to me recently, but "registration for the P51SIG is currently restricted to invitation or current member recommendation only."

It states in the new member information that I should write an e-mail directly to the admin, but as unregistered guest I cannot find the e-mail adress. :(

Markus

For whatever it's worth, one of the older Hasegawa boxings of the Mustang (1:32 scale), had the same markings. Whether it was a -10, -20, -25 or whatnot I have no clue, but someone here might know. As to the Tamiya kit, I'd just check all the photos I could find (as Peter suggested), then go from there.

Markus, Maybe this will help, it was posted on P-51 SIG

1/32 Tamiya P-51D, Cockpit Details

Post by Tourist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Recently Jerry asked if I could post some information about the cockpit parts included in the new Tamiya kit, a sort of "was should be there or not" kinda thing.

I finally have a little time off so here we go.

This only concerns the parts included in the kit, in reality the cockpit's evolution is more complex with a lot more details and subtle changes, we 've touched on some of it in other threads.

-Canopies:

I'm not sure exactly when the switch from -2 to -6 occurred (did hlppls45 mention it in a recent thread?)

The fact that the canopies were interchangeable complicates matters a bit, so check pictures of the aircraft you want to build that's the only way to be sure.

-Seats:

They were also interchangeable and it seems randomly switched during production.

The WMA seat was more common but once again checking pictures is the best way to know.

-Parts D3, D51, D52 and D53 should only be used if you build a Mustang with an IFF set; P-51D-30, post war or some Pacific based Mustangs.

-Instrument panels:

Part D30 should only be used on P-51D-5NA & NT's and P-51K-1's.

All other P-51D and K's should have part D31

In reality it's a little more complicated and on many blocks the IP form part D31 should be used on the frame of part D30 (with a few adjustment along the way).

-The pilot's switchbox part D50 was only used on P-51D-5 (NA&NT) and P-51K-1's, part D48 (with rocket controls) was used on P-51D-20NA 44-72227 and subsequent airframes and in Dallas on P-51K-15's and Subs.

Part D49 was used on P-51D's in between (P-51D-10, 15 & early 20NA's and on P-51K-5 & 10NT's).

-The electrical switchbox part D18 was used on early airframes (P-51D-5NA & NT and P-51K-1's), part D17 was used on all other aircraft.

-The small panel for the APS-13 part D1 (as well as part D14) was on 44-72127 and subs. in Inglewood and P-51K-10 44-12153 and subs. in Dallas.

Part D2 was on earlier planes.

-The instrument panel shroud should be the later style with the stiffeners (part D27) on P-51D-25's and subs. while the earlier blocks used the D28 part.

-The K-14 gunsight replaced the N-9 starting with 44-72227 in Inglewood and the first P-51D-20NT in Dallas.

These were often retrofitted to ealier blocks.

The K-14 always comes with the dimmer control (part D5) and the later throttle control (par tD13).

-For those interested in adding the beacon receiver in the cockpit (and an aerial antenna outside) I am not sure exactly when the the BC-438 (parts D7+D10) switched to the BC-1206 (D12) but I've seen pictures showing the BC-438 in P-51D-5's and D-10's so it was later.

At some point the beacon receiver (BC-1206 by then) went from the floor of the cockpit to the right wall, this is covered in T.O. 01-60JE-25.

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina

Hi Markus,

Not really any help - but we had Pete Teischman's Jumpin Jacques stay in our hangar (along with his PR Mk XI Spitfire) overnight during the summer - beautiful aeroplane:

8455_10151531836238123_561297688_n.jpg

1016612_10151531837718123_296939593_n.jp

267301_10151531838158123_1285709259_n.jp

179795_10151531838543123_445296865_n.jpg

1001764_10151531839628123_1169389433_n.j

1017405_10151531841868123_771695174_n.jp

1044210_10151531847683123_1762710787_n.j

Have been tempted to have a go at the original too...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Markus, Maybe this will help, it was posted on P-51 SIG

1/32 Tamiya P-51D, Cockpit Details

Post by Tourist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 pm

[cut]

-The small panel for the APS-13 part D1 (as well as part D14) was on 44-72127 and subs. in Inglewood and P-51K-10 44-12153 and subs. in Dallas.

Part D2 was on earlier planes.

[cut].

Mike Horina

Thanks Mike, that is a great help. I will work through it and see what applies to 44-64076, stationed in Okinawa in 1945.

Regarding the APS-13: That mens if 44-64076 was in Inglewood P-51, it would not have the APS-13 at all and would also be missing the antennas on the stab? Or was the APS-13 retrofitted to earlier aircraft in 1945?

Also thank you for the pics.

One thing I noted: It seems the wings and control surfaces are painted in a silver color, wheras the fuselage is just the bare metal. Was this the same on WW II aircraft?

At first, when I started my research, I also thought: "Great, Jumpin Jacques ist still flying, so there are many pics around", but then I noticed the different registration number on the rear stab.

But then I found out that it is another airframe, just painted up as Jumping Jacques.

Also thank you very much for the warm and helpful welcome. I hope I will be able to return the favor.

Regards,

Markus

Edited by Delayar

One thing I noted: It seems the wings and control surfaces are painted in a silver color, wheras the fuselage is just the bare metal. Was this the same on WW II aircraft?

Yup - painted wings - natural metal fuselage standard on the Mustang.

At first, when I started my research, I also thought: "Great, Jumpin Jacques ist still flying, so there are many pics around", but then I noticed the different registration number on the rear stab.

But then I found out that it is another airframe, just painted up as Jumping Jacques.

Indeed - not the same airframe and usual caveats about using restored airframes as primary reference - but I had a good long chat with the ground engineers (who quickly realised I must be a modeller because of the shots/questions I was asking - as well as the flying Qs).

They've gone to great lengths to try and get this one as original as possible - note the gun bay on the starboard wing - replete with armament and some newly done placards. Port wing gun bay is used to carry overnight bag etc..

Think I have some more images - if any use I'll dig them out and post.

Iain