1/32 Lightning F6 with Avon

daveoh

Wonderful progress on the Lightning and sorry to read about the poor undercarriage. What's your POA in replacing the gear?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter thanks for the praise 

My plan of attack for replacing the gear is simple I've updated a set of spare Echelon legs to fit the trumpeter kit using the Aires wheel wells. see pic below

20140828_151645_zps024eb4e3.jpg

as you can see they are longer that they originally where and they have been primed ready for an aluminium finish. I'm also going to use a spare Echelon canopy as the Trumpeter example is wrong and cracked . example below.

20140828_151813_zps9457cb49.jpg

I've had to remove the white metal hinge as its too wide for the kit. Below is a pic of the new Echelon nose wheel leg installed on the model a lot better I think

20140828_151726_zps244b119e.jpg

Next is the glue the main undercarriage legs in position and stand her on them and hope it sits right. 

more pictures to follow once its on its feet.

Dave

Having added the main undercarriage legs I've noticed that the doors that are attached to the leg are too short !!! So I've had to add a small amount of length to make it look a tad better. The picture below shows the main undercarriage legs in place.

20140902_161511_zpsaedc8679.jpg   

Also in the picture is the replacement Echelon canopy, Note the proper canopy framing that is far too thin on the Trumpeter part. The wheels are the Master Casters resin wheels that are perfect for the converted Echelon legs I have had cast. And it sits right not too high and not too low. 

20140905_194947_zps3902341b.jpg

The wheels are back off now for painting but the radius rods are glued in position you can just make them out at the top of the leg. I scratch built those as the kit parts are a bit woeful, too thin and little detail. Not much left to do on this build now . Just got to put on the windscreen, canopy, gear doors, large Engine bay door and pitot probe and hey presto one Lightning F6 of 5 Sqdn resplendent in its 5 Sqdn 21st anniversary with Lightnings paint scheme. Once finished I will Add some photos to the Ready for Inspection area. 

Thanks for looking 

Dave. 

Edited by daveoh

• 2 weeks later...

She is now on her wheels and sitting better than if I'd used the trumpeter legs. I'm amazed its not a tail sitter what with the extra weight with the Avon. Only the engine hatch and Ejector seat and canopy left to fit.It will definitely be ready for Telford that's for sure.  

20140913_200128_zps3ea9bab0.jpg

Any comments greatly recieved. 

Dave.

• 3 months later...

Thats a very nice Lightning you've done there, Dave! They are not exactly one of my core competencies but i know the Trumpeter kit came in for a right thrashing, given all the annoying and difficult- to- fix issues associated with it.

You picked a great paint scheme to at least distract away from the kits weak points; not too gaudy and not a scheme we've seen too many of before. Fixing the stance of the undercarriage made a world of difference to my eye too.

I think it goes to show that even a highly imperfect kit, when built extremely well, still has a lot of visual appeal.

Thanks for posting!

david

• 6 months later...