Are we in a Luftwaffe renaissance?

seiran01

Interesting variant!! ... Well ... Trumpeter can't be blamed for wringing every spare cent out of their molds I guess. I wonder if they are planning to use this opportunity to make the corrections to the originals??

Rog :)

Guest Dekenba

Correction!? That's just an opportunity for AM suppliers to burst into action.

The more interesting threads are those that discuss and remedy corrections.

Look at a Tamiya Mustang or Spitfire or Corsair build. Compare them to Trumpys Corsair build threads.

I know which are most enlightening and entertaining. I've learnt some foreign swear words on Trumpy build threads that you just never see on Tamiya's.

It is hard for me to think of the WW2 German stuff without getting emotionally stirred a bit, against all of them. The Nazis were the scourge of the planet and the best thing that happened was that we won. That said, I do like their aircraft and especially their varied color schemes. Unlike the Brits and Americans who stuck with simple one or two color camouflage, the Germans had a wonderfully inventive and interesting range of camo schemes. Being an artist that is what attracts me. Yes, the Amis came up with all sorts of wildly colored marking schemes later in the war when they went over to unpainted aircraft and are also interesting.

As far as I am concerned, however, after the -E model an Me-109 is an Me-109 and I couldn't;t care less if its an F or G or K or LMNOPQ... they all look alike. One or two of those models is enough fro me and I ignore the rest. But that is my way of seeing things. For some reason I like the Dornier line of aircraft much better than all the rest of the Noxie planes. Which is frustrating since they are almost all bombers which have not been produced in 1/32 scale yet. As far as I am concerned the Do-17-215-217 is the most fascinating series of two engine bombers produced in the war by anyone. The most beautiful airplane was the Do-24, well at least the hull was most graceful.

As to German WW2 aircraft in general I am not surprised that they are so popular. Anything WW2 German commands a higher price than military artifacts from any other country. I do not know why, but all of their items bring higher prices in the collecting fields than any allied militaria. It is a most interesting phenomena, considering that under the Nazis, if they had won the world would have been plunged into a new dark age where brute force and brutality ruled. But us humans are rather ornery and uncontrollable critters so we just ponder the phenomena of being attracted by what one know is bad for us.

Stephen

And the winner of the "I can't help but mentioning the Nazis, even though this is a modelling forum'" award goes to.......

I thank you for the award but the feelings are there and after all, the impetus to build models is to fill an emotional need. So the emotions come up in many of us old timers.

I am nasty in that I like to remind folks what the functions of the weapons we model really are. Back in the 1960's I went to the meetings of the Armor Association that were held in the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. There I'd take photos of the exhibits, especially the items under development. Then at the meeting of the local IPMS chapter I'd show my slides. But every now and then I would insert a slide showing the remains of soldiers taken after our weaponry rearranged their body parts about the landscape.

One young man objected (we were all young men back then) and asked why. I replied that we should always be aware of the purpose of these weapons we all love so much and keep in mind the results of using them. One can grow to love war too much.