Air brush compressor recommendations

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

My compressor is now almost 3 years old, a 1/5 HP model with a holding tank and until my last painting session has been trouble free. It seems long painting sessions necessary for large scale aircraft are starting to takes it's toll. The compressor is making strange noises which can't be very good sign and I'm afraid, I need a back up plan to replace it. I'm looking for a good compressor, with a holding tank, capable of long painting sessions without having to worry about the heat build up causing damage. Looking for recommendations as the best way to go. Of course, I don't want to spend a fortune but am looking for a solid and cable machine. Noise is a consideration: the quieter the better.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter ...

I bought one of these a while back ... I'm no expert - but it does the job for me!

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/artlogic-ac2418-super-quiet-twin-piston-mini-air-compressor-with-tank/

Obviously this is on an Australian website (with plenty of other cool stuff!) ... but it may be that something similar exists over there?

Rog :)

Hi Peter,

I got a Craftsman evolve from Sears and few years ago with an excellent warranty. It was around $100, has a 3 gal tank and comes with a regulator. I have had zero issues with it and was able to use it in my apartment at university with no noise complaints.

Maybe go take a look,

Graeme.

I had to buy a new one yesturday, because my 1 year old Badger T908s motor froze up AGAIN for the second time...so had to send it back AGAIN ...so,in the meantime I went and got one of the compressors at HobbyLobby..the nice shiney blue one...40% off coupon ..workin great so far..but,only used it for a few hours so far.

Has anyone tried/own one of the Iwata or Siltentaire compressors?

I'm in a similar situation where my compressor is slowly dying. Can't really complain since it's 20 years old. The one I have is no louder than a fridge so would like something simiiar from a noise standpoint.

Carl

Peter : Not to make assumptions regarding your mechanical prowess , but did you check the oil in your noisy compressor?

My best advice is to get more air power than you need , plumb it away from the work area with rigid pipe and ,of course an air dryer and filter as well. I use 2 filters and water traps ,based on production painting experience.

Good luck!