The Old Hasegawa P-26

Gary

Hi,

A friend recently send me the 1/32nd scale Hasegawa P-26. The kit, although about thirty years old, still gets pretty good reviews even now, so I'm starting to gather build information. Won't be for a while, but it's definitely on the radar. I note that the kit is not listed in the article column, so I assume that either no one has built the kit (not too likely) or hasn't posted a build result. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Lone Star resin cockpit for the -26, and how it all worked out. Any recommendation for a decent reference or two would also be welcome. TIA for any information.

Cheers,

Gary

This is a great kit. Lone Star's interior looks nice. I haven't yet fit mine into the plane, but it looks a lot better than the kit parts. I am considering replacing the instrument faces with Aeroscale dials, because Mike's have raised detail which take narrow brushes and a steady hand to get done. (I may have to make a punched panel to do that). Other than that, the rest is really fine, especially the seat, as he captured that much better than the generic one in the kit.

Yellow wings did three great decal sets covering the California Bear, Thunderbird and Kicking Mule insignia. Starfighter Decals did a double sheet with some colorful ones also.

Silicon valley scale modelers have a great gallery with four people's walkarounds: http://svsm.org/gallery/p26a

You could check my walkaround on LSP (from NASM, Udvar-Hazy): http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=97

I like the Aerofax #8 P-26 book, maybe out of print, but shows up on ebay regularly, as well as in the local second hand bookstore once in a while. I am very impressed with the interior shots for every version and good detail photos in that book. Abe books listed several for $12 to under $20, and they are still out there, even if out of print.

Finally, if you were so inclined, you could even make your own like this guy is.. amazing detail of two replicas in progress: http://www.peashooter.net/

Have fun with this one. It is a beautiful plane and a pretty good kit, amazingly good for its age.

Tnarg

Hi Gary,

I have that kit in the stash too. When I saw your comment about there not being any builds of it on the website, I couldn't believe it! But it appears to be true. Here's the only build I could find in the WiP forum:

This really surprises me. I'd love to drag mine out of the stash, but there are just too many builds ahead of it in the queue.

Kev

Thanks, guys.

Not sure about what markings I'll apply. I'm interested in a Philippine pilot named Villamor who apparently brought down two Japanese a/c on one mission, one of them a Zero of all things: this guy was good. But I may have to paint the markings on as I have yet to find an aftermarket sheet with the Philippines insignia. The kit I have has them but they are really thick. Again,thinks for the leads! ^_^

But I may have to paint the markings on as I have yet to find an aftermarket sheet with the Philippines insignia. The kit I have has them but they are really thick.

I built the -26 years ago for a gal I was dating. Her dad was in the P.A.F. The kit decals were quite good except the white elements of the national insignia weren't there. Easy enough fix. The decals disappeared under flat clear quite nicely. I used Solvaset and it worked well.

Gary,

I have one up on bench now at about 70%. I put in the Lone Star cockpit set. I highly recomend the resin set. It fits like a glove. I didn't do anything to the intrument panel ( Resin panel suplied in the Lone Star set) becuase you can't really see anything in the tiny cocpit once the fuselage halves are put together...

Radu makes some great flying wires if you want to go all out? The P-26 had flat flying wires in different sizes from the wings to fusealge attachment point and the gear bracing was also a difffernt size, if not mistaken. .

Fine kit for its age. Enjoy....

regards

Troy .

Check the link in my signature for a build (currently in progress) for the P26. I am not using any aftermarket other than some Airscale instrument decals to dress up the very visible IP :)

Doug

Check the link in my signature for a build (currently in progress) for the P26. I am not using any aftermarket other than some Airscale instrument decals to dress up the very visible IP :)

Doug

Doug, why not post it here too?

Kev

Weiredest thing ever, a few years ago I tried building one, cleaned the kit with superclean then prepped it with an alcohol rubdown. I could not get paint to dry on it, no matter what I tried. It remained tacky and even greasy at times