Aerotech 1/32 Speed Spitfire

Well folks, a modicum of progress is all I can boast since the last update. Here are the main landing gear parts, glued together and primed (twice, once with Mr Metal Primer and another time with Mr Surfacer):

HEfMBo.jpg

I've left off the photo-etched brake lines, as I didn't think they were going to look very convincing, and would be a bugger to paint to boot. These parts are now just awaiting a coat of silver all over.

Here's the rudder with the white metal control wire anchor installed and 'sealed' with some Mr Surfacer:

7jbH4H.jpg

I think this part looks too big, and the supplied wire for the control cable also looks oversized. But the anchor points are designed to suit it, so I'll go with that. Which reminds me, what colour should the control cable be?

OK, I'll finish with a snapshot of where the build is now. I've applied an overall coat of Mr Surfacer, except for the control surfaces, which I hadn't attached at the time:

nk9bn0.jpg

The rudder and elevators are just posed for effect, and not permanently installed yet. The primer needs a really good rub back, as it's quite rough in patches, and the underside of the port tailplane managed to capture a nice layer airborne detritus. You may also like to note my decidedly agricultural approach to masking the cockpit.

Very nearly ready for paint!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Stellar progress on the Spit, as I am enjoying following your progress through each stage. The Spit sure looks smooth as silk in the photo.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Great progress Kev. I have noticed that all of your models are exceptionally well painted with extremely smooth coats of paint, so I expect that this one will be stunning once painted.

Cheers

Derek

Great progress Kev. I have noticed that all of your models are exceptionally well painted with extremely smooth coats of paint, so I expect that this one will be stunning once painted.

Cheers

Derek

Ha! Thanks Derek, but I wish that were really true. The Matchbox Spitfire has a lot of grungy bits on the bottom, and a whole bunch of trapped hair and dust that I didn't notice until it was too late. The top is OK though, which is all that matters in the display case! The Hughes racer also suffers from quite a poor finish on the underside in comparison with the top. But I'm grateful for your kind words, and it's nice to know I've got everybody fooled! Painting and finishing is one area where I feel I really need to improve.

Kev

Painting and finishing is one area where I feel I really need to improve.

Me too Kev - This is my one area of failing due to the fact that I have not actually completed a model kit since 2004 so I am seriously out of practice!

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Mike. While mucking about with one of my aforementioned distractions, I ended up with this:

szyLmj.jpg

That's the cowling from a Revell Corsair, slipped over the front of the Spitfire. Shows you how petite these early Spits really were! Looks like the Corsair could swallow it whole.

Kev

Thanks Mike. While mucking about with one of my aforementioned distractions, I ended up with this:

szyLmj.jpg

That's the cowling from a Revell Corsair, slipped over the front of the Spitfire. Shows you how petite these early Spits really were! Looks like the Corsair could swallow it whole.

Kev

Oh no, no no no no no.

Hey, don't panic fellas - I was just trying it on for size and marvelling at how petite the Spit's nose is compared to the Corsair cowling. I'm sure the cowling from a P-47 or Hellcat would look similarly brutish. Even by WW2 standards, the Spitfire was a small aircraft.

Kev