1:32 Tornado GR1, operation desert storm.

viperfixer

• 3 weeks later...

Made a little progress in the last few weeks. First I decided on what to do with the wings. I choose structural strength above ease of painting. This model is big and the plastic is pretty soft so it needs some extra reinforcements. For the wings: I put them together to make them one solid piece. To do that I fixated them with a super-glued piece of plastic and I put a plastic sheet on the under side of the center. On top I put some kind of cast from Milly putty, and after that cured it's one piece, hardly flexible. My philosophy here: If it IS weak it will LOOK weak. Hopefully the pics will make it understandable.

rkla.jpg

stb9.jpg

Also the upper fuselage half got some reinforcements from Milly putty and plastic rod, this part is very flimsy.

ajrs.jpg

Before I could put the wings in I had to modify my wing seals. For some reason I have the ones from Two Mikes resin that are made for the wings fully swept back, so I had to fill them up to fit. After that I glued them to the upper fuselage and put the wings in there.

9ljk.jpg

dqes.jpg

Made a hole for the APU exhaust and put a box from plastic sheet behind that. I will use some flightpath PE that I don't need to go around it on the outside for some detail.

ypri.jpg

Then it was time to put the central fuselage together. Already knew that the fit on the aft section wouldn't be great, but most of it will be covered by the horizontals and the rest will be fixed with some sanding and putty.

58d5.jpg

2i1c.jpg

3mqh.jpg

The edges of the wing seals won't be a problem because I will use the frames from flightpath to put around them, that will look like this:

7evz.jpg

For now I'm happy that the central fuselage is together. It took a lot of thinking and experimenting, two of many aspects that make this hobby so nice, so I had fun with it.

Next will be cleaning up seams on this part and then we'll see. Thanks for watching!

Nice work Jeroen. Not seen that approach before with the wings. Well thought out.

I'm currently trying to do a proper F.3 conversion, so of you fancy giving that a go give me a shout. :)

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'm not planning to do another Tornado after this any time soon, got a lot of other planes I'd like to built too, but I would sure like to see what you're doing!

Got a few days off of work so I've got some time to do a little modeling, so here's another update already. Continued work on the central fuselage. Got the wing seal frames on and the APU port finished. Also made the fittings for the horizontals and installed the tubes in the horizontals themselves. Tomorrow I'll put primer on it to see how it looks and which areas need more work.

yswq.jpg

ozwg.jpg

5sh7.jpg

1vts.jpgp7hu.jpg

When this part is all good I'll return to the front fuselage to get that primed and then I'll have all the major parts ready and I can start putting things together. More soon!

Well, got the central fuselage primed and sanded. Looks OK to me and it's pretty much finished now. Also did the aft section. Here is what it looks like, horizontals are removable and aft section and vertical tail are not glued yet.

ntac.jpg

5z85.jpg

So here is where I'm at right now:

iid0.jpg

q72r.jpg

ak82.jpg

Even though I've seen real Tornados up close and build this model before, the size is still impressive!

Thanks a lot, you guys, glad you like it!

Little bit more progress before going back to work tomorrow, got the front fuselage section primed, and I think it's good already. Seams are pretty much gone, so I'm happy. Not much to say about it, so here the pics:

771r.jpg

juiq.jpg

n824.jpg

pgbq.jpg

48gn.jpg

So, made some great progress the last few days, very happy with that. All the main parts are assembled and primed and pretty much ready to be put together I think. But first, back to work!

• 3 weeks later...

Made some pretty good progress last few weeks. Got the two fuselage parts together, the intakes on, the aft part were the engines go in on, vertical tail fitted and the windscreen installed. Fit wasn't very good on all these parts, especially the windscreen, but that was mostly because of the PE I think. After a lot of filling and sanding I got it pretty much alright, and hopefully with the paint on it will look good.

ouxn.jpg

26gv.jpg

kmea.jpg

Aft section still needs some work.

t1da.jpg

Also finished both instrument panels. Applied some sand dusting to it and the cockpit, I know how dusty F-16's in Afghanistan get so I figured it would be the same on these planes. Also applied another dull coat to the pit to seal it and because I thought it looked to shiny.

7z9a.jpg

y77o.jpg

after some earlier experiments on the intake covers I tried something new, namely paper tissue with wallpaper glue and a metal wire frame. Worked good, think I will use these:

dk.JPG

With some paint on, not finished of course:

czae.jpg

q3eo.jpg

Finally I did some experimenting with pre-shading on a spare part. I don't like overdone pre-shading were it looks like the panel lines proceed into the panels them selfs so to say, I just want the to look sharp. Therefor I need black lines and rivets only and clean panels. So I brush painted the lines and rivets with acrylic black over the alclad II grey primer and after it was dry I washed it of with alcohol, which has no effect on the primer, only on the acrylic. It's probably a known method for many of you, but I never seen it before. But it worked well so I tried it on the horizontal tail and this is how it turned out:

ez0j.jpg

We'll see how it will look with paint on!

That's it for now, thanks for watching.

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like it!

Shes looking REALLY good now ......enjoying watching this but I must do some of my own Tonkas too !!  :)

Keep up the good work mate .

Andy

Hope you do soon, Andy. Would be nice to see some more Tornado's over here!